Chapter 28

Later that night Greige couldn't sleep. He was too busy thinking about his theory. He knew it to be true although he wasn't sure why he believed it so surely. Call it a gut feeling. But according to the book everyone under the curse was unhappy even the one who cast it and the only way they'll be happy again is if the curse is broken. He grabbed a flashlight, went under the covers of his bed, and began reading every chapter in his book that spoke of the curse with the intention of finding a clue or something. Finally he found something when reading the chapter about Jellal and Erza talking to Gray about the curse and how it can be broken.

The next morning as he was walking from Elkis's car to school he got the strangest feeling that he was being watched. He stopped, looked around himself, and discovered that he was being spied on. From a distance he could see Lusha sitting in her car watching his every move carefully. As if she was making sure he wasn't going to do something. He quickly hurried inside to escape her gaze.

Later at recess she approached him while he was sitting alone by a tree and reading his book.

"Hello." She greeted in a polite and friendly manner which he could tell was half sincere and half fake. He looked up from his book and at her then back at his book again without saying anything. "Aren't you going to say hello back?"

"I'm not supposed to talk to strangers."

"You're right. You're not supposed to but I'm not a stranger."

"Do I know you?"

"No not really."

"Are you a friend of Elkis?"

"No."

"Do you work here?"

"No."

"Then you're a stranger so technically I shouldn't be talking to you." He looked back at his book. "Also I would appreciate if you would stop spying on me. It's creepy and if you think about it it's kind of wrong considering our age differences. In fact I'm pretty sure you could be arrested for stalking a kid."

"Oh aren't you the precocious one?"

He could tell by her voice that she was trying not to be irritated. He knew he was annoying her and that was his intention because he hoped that it would make her go away.

"That's a nice book. May I see it?" She asked.

"I'd rather you not." He answered.

"I just want to read it a little."

"Why?"

"I...I have fondness for children's books."

"Then go buy your own."

"Young man you shouldn't speak to adults that way."

"And you shouldn't be approaching a kid you don't know without a trusted adult present. It kind of looks bad."

"Look I don't want any trouble-"

"Then go away before I scream and someone decides to call the cops."

"Why you smart mouthed little brat!" She said losing her patience. "How dare you address me like that. I happen to be the mayor and well respected person of the community."

"You're also an evil princess hell bent on ruining everyone's life because you think it'll fill some sad void."

"What?!" She cried in shock. "What did you just say?"

"I think you heard me. You don't exactly give off the vibe of being deaf."

Apprehension flickered in her brown eyes. As if he had just discovered her dirtiest secret.