Chapter 45

One morning Gray was looking over scrolls and keeping track of his recent deals when his ears caught hold of a sound that was very foreign to his estate.

"Lavender's blue,
Dilly dilly,
Lavenders green.

When I am King,
Dilly dilly,
You shall be Queen.

Who told you so,
Dilly dilly,
Who told you so?

T'was my own heart,
Dilly dilly,
That told me so."

Singing. It had been a very long time since he had heard singing. Especially very beautiful singing. With his curiosity peeked, he followed the singing. It led him to the top of the stairway where he could see that the source of the singing was Juvia who was scrubbing the castle floors as she sang to herself.

"Lavender's green,
Dilly dilly,
Lavender's blue.

If you love me,
Dilly dilly,
I will love you.

Let the birds sing,
Dilly dilly,
And the lambs play.

We shall be safe,
Dilly dilly,
Out of  harm's way."

Her voice was as innocent and beautiful as she was. Not even a nightingale's song could compare to such an angelic melody. Gray was enthralled for a moment but then confused. She sounded so happy when she sang. But why was that? How could she be happy here? No one in their right mind could ever be happy here?

His foot moved and it made the floor creak which alerted Juvia that she was no longer alone. She stopped singing, stood up, and turned to look at her employer who stood above her.

"Oh hello sir. Is something wrong?" She asked.

"What were you doing?" He asked.

"Nothing. Just scrubbing the floors."

"What was with the singing?"

"Oh...Well I find that music can sometimes make the work go faster. Is it disturbing you?"

He came down the stairway and looked at her skeptically.

"You seem awfully happy today." He observed.

"Is that a bad thing?" She asked.

"Perhaps not but for nearly every night since you've arrived here you've cried nonstop and during the day you've carried yourself with a very glum expression. But now all of a sudden you're happy as a lark. Why is that I wonder?"

"Oh...Um...Well..." She clutched the cleaning rag in her hand nervously as she tried to think of an excuse. "I...I...I just realized that if I'm going to work here forever I might as well try to find someway to be happy."

Actually what had made her so happy was being reunited with Gajeel and Levy. But there was no way on earth she could let him know that. God only knows what he would do.

"You're lying." He accused.

"No I'm not." She denied.

She something very scary flash his eyes though the rest of him remained calm. He approached her, she backed away nervously until he had her pinned to the wall. 

"My dear I do many deplorable things but there are some immoralities that I will not tolerate and one of them happens to be lying. I will not lie and I will not be lied to. By anyone."

"But I-"

"Before you continue you should know that you're a terrible liar and right now I'm feeling a little merciful so I'll forgive if you lie twice but a third time will force me to punish you." He put his clawed finger under her chin and lifted her face to make eye contact with him. "Now look me in the eyes and tell me the truth."