Chapter 33: "Why is she trying to defend him?"

"Did you believe that Theo's injury was in no way related to his enmity with Roman?" Detective Richardson asked before taking a sip of his coffee.

"Detective, would you believe it if I say, 'Nothing ever goes wrong at Beacon Heights?'"

Placing the mug on the cold table, he smiled slyly, "But something did..." digging through the evidence files, he retrieved a beige-colored folder before turning the pages, finally coming to one in particular, "that led to the death of our next suspect."

My gaze landed on the picture- the bloodied corpse of a person I knew all too well staring right at me, the red liquid staining the bright white marble a nasty crimson, the lifeless eyes bulging out of the skull, the mouth agape in shock.

Sucking in a sharp breath, I mumbled, "Yes... the 'murder' rather."

******

NOVEMBER  1 0, 2019

NOVEMBER  1 0, 2019

Stroking and kicking the water, I made my way through the swimming pool

Stroking and kicking the water, I made my way through the swimming pool. Once I reached the edge, my breath came in short gasps as the adrenaline in my veins pumped back to its normal state.

"Nice strokes," a feminine voice spoke up.

"Oh--" A jolt of shock passed through me before I glanced up at the familiar face. "... It's just you."

Glancing around the nearly-empty pool, Francesca nodded, "Seems that way."

"Were you here... the whole time?" I asked her.

"I watched you jump into the water if that qualifies as the whole time."

"So um... Was I good?" I asked hesitantly.

"You were... adequate." She answered after much contemplation.

I hung my face in dismay. Back in Korea, I was the fastest swimmer in my school, and here, everything seemed so... elevated.

"Look, I'll be brutally honest with you on this one. The Crestfall High Piranhas are a force to be reckoned with, especially their captain, Trixie Fernandez, who also happens to be Crystal's elder sister. You get what I mean, right?"