Chapter 106: "I just...needed to come back."

"So, what did you think of Allison when she returned? Did you think of her as a victim or the perpetrator?" Detective Richardson asked.

"Neither," I answered, shaking my head.

A look of confusion spread across his face. "Can you elaborate?" he asked.

I leaned into the table. "Allison was a puzzle when she came back. Some pieces made her look like the victim, some made her look like the offender. In the end, it all came down to which side of her weighed more, which side of her came closer to the truth as we now know it, do we not?"

Detective Richardson thought about my words for a while before humming. "And were you trying to piece the pieces back together now?"

I smiled, releasing a breath. "It wasn't that easy, not when the puzzle kept shifting ever so frequently."

******

APRIL 2, 2020

APRIL 2, 2020

I walked down the hallway to the kitchen, craving a post-dinner snack, but the person I saw in there made my stomach drop inside me and the only thing I was craving now was to turn back and run back  to my room

If only she hadn't noticed me.

Allison's eyes perked up once she caught my gaze. She was leaning with her back against the kitchen counter, holding a sundae cup in one hand while twirling the spoon inside her mouth with another. The look on her face spoke surprise and intrigue, with a hint of delight. The corners of her lips rose in a smile that emanated nothing but menace.

I gulped and made my way over to the refrigerator and pulled open the door, not acknowledging her presence in the room. I had been trying to avoid her ever since she returned yesterday. I skipped the classes I was going to have with her and barely left my room for two whole days and when I thought I could get away one more time with curfew approaching, the devil stood right behind me.

I could feel her gaze lingering on me as I scooped the ice cream into a cup. My heart was racing in my chest like I had seen a ghost, which was possibly an understatement. Just as I proceeded to leave after putting back the tub of ice cream into the refrigerator, Allison called out to me and made me stop right in my tracks.