Chapter 97: "You're not going to push me off the building, are you?"

"So, the Beacon Heights Founding Day was in three days, right?" detective Richardson asked.

"Yes." I sighed. "It was."

He inhaled and leaned forward. "Do you want me to skip to a week after this? I know it might be difficult for you--"

"Don't," I interrupted. "Trust me, that will only worsen everything." I produced a shaky laugh as a desperate attempt to pull my tears back in.

"Alright, if you insist..." The detective straightened and resumed the interrogation. "You visited Theo at the hospital on March twenty-third, right?"

"Yes."

"What happened then?"

A scoff escaped me as I answered, "Whatever I'm about to tell you, detective."

******

MARCH 23, 2020

MARCH 23, 2020

I was back at the hospital, on my way to Theo's room

I was back at the hospital, on my way to Theo's room. It was just this morning that he texted me, asking me to visit him; no further details, and that certainly didn't calm my pounding heart as I walked down the hallway.

The bouquet of lilies in my hand became heavier as his door came into sight. A bead of sweat trickled down the side of my face and my ears turned hot with anxiety. From the way he reacted last time, I could only hope for the worst. Maybe he called me only to end things before they could go on any further. Maybe it was for the best. I didn't want to drag a relationship that wouldn't work out either way.

With a head full of bitter thoughts, I was about to knock on Theo's door when it opened from the inside, revealing Theo standing on the other side.

My feet remained frozen on the ground as I stared at him, dumbfounded.

Somehow, mustering up all the vocabulary in my startled brain, I started, "Hey--"

"Come with me," Theo whispered in my ear as he passed his fingers through mine and we started moving in the direction I had come from.