Chapter 52: "Let's get out of this hellhole before Satan returns."

"You know Maeve committed a felony, right?" detective Richardson cocked an eyebrow to the side.

"I'm no expert at law, detective. But isn't filming someone against their will a bigger crime?"

He scoffed. "I can't argue that I'm intrigued by the amount of thought you put into this theft."

"And yet, all our efforts were in vain."

"The plan didn't work?"

I smirked. "The night wasn't over yet."

******

DECEMBER 6, 2019

"Hide!" I pulled Josh under Roman's bed

"Hide!" I pulled Josh under Roman's bed. My breath hitched in my throat as a sharp click and the creaking of the door followed a second later.

Josh covered my mouth with his hand, and I whimpered against it. I did not know what would've happened otherwise. I looked into his eyes that radiated comfort and assurance.

Everything was fine. I was out of danger and so was my family. All I had to do was stay quiet for a few more minutes.

Shuffling of feet reached the nightstand, followed by the opening of drawers. Roman's movements were frantic, as if he was struggling to stay stable. Weird...

The unwrapping of plastic packets came next, and then calm breathing. I scrunched my face. What the hell was he up to? His phone and laptop weren't where he had left them and he failed to notice that? Curious, I shimmied my way closer to the edge of the bed, trying to gain a closer look at what he was doing, but hit the back of my head in the quest.

"Maeve!" Josh whispered.

A loud thud and silence, not even the sound of breathing. My heart skipped a million beats. I was doomed, and not even Josh could save me. He was doomed as well.

Roman's feet creeped towards the bed and he was about to kneel when suddenly...

"Roman!" Isaak's voice called out from the doorway. "Coach Hughes is calling you to the field."