Chapter 61: "Missed me?"

"So, your father came to know about your secret? The butterfly told him?" detective Richardson asked, a spark of alarm in his grey eyes.

I nodded silently.

"But weren't you and your friends the only ones who were aware of this thing?"

I scoffed, bringing my lips up in a smirk. "I told you. There was a snake among us."

******

JANUARY 5, 2020

JANUARY 5, 2020

The crowd reeked of zest and energy

The crowd reeked of zest and energy. It was the day; the day of the Romeo and Juliet showcase. Backstage, everyone was rushing around like their flights were due; some with their arms halfway through their sleeves, few inserting bobby pins into their extensions while most revising their lines. Havoc multi-personified.

"Finally, huh?" Francesca's husky voice asked and in a moment, she was next to me, peeping from the gap between the curtains as the influx of guests made a tingle run through my spine. There were hundreds of them in the audience, my parents too. In the front row seats, of course. They had asked me to reserve them beforehand.

"Yeah," I answered Francesca.

"You nervous?"

"Aren't you?"

She smiled and shook her head. "Today's gonna be a good day. I can feel it."

I crinkle my brow at her words. But it wasn't too much of a surprise. Francesca was one of the best cast-mates and her portrayal of Juliet during practice sessions was perfect. I couldn't expect any less from her.

"And about the kiss..." her words trailed off.

"A small peck on the cheek?"

She lowered her head, the shadow of disappointment shrouding her face. "Um, sure." And then she smiled again. I knew what that smile meant. Disappointment.

"Alright, everyone. We're going on stage in ten," announced Genevieve. It was our call to prepare to face the crowd. Camera shutters capture everything, and all people care about is flawlessness.