Chapter 71: "Our reign has just begun."

“So, did you ever come to know what the clue was? The one you and Maeve fought over?” detective Richardson asked.

“Of course I did.” I crossed my legs and leaned into my chair.

“Did you eavesdrop on them?”

I smirked. “I had to. To recognize the Butterfly, I had to go down the exact path they did. I needed to have control.”

******

FEBRUARY 1, 2020

FEBRUARY 1, 2020

People kept walking in through the door, deans of reputable universities and parents alike, gazing up at the photographs that nearly reached the ceiling

People kept walking in through the door, deans of reputable universities and parents alike, gazing up at the photographs that nearly reached the ceiling. Shanish led them from one artwork to the other, explaining them the meaning behind each. It kind of resembled a school tour. Unsurprisingly, I noticed neither of my parents in the crowd. I wouldn’t even bother to ask why, knowing very well the some urgent issue came up card they always played.

“Guess we are the only ones whose parents didn’t show up,” I whispered to Helena. The two of us stood in a corner, observing every soul in the room.

“I didn’t invite them.”

I furrowed my eyebrows at her. “Why not? Isn’t this exhibition a big thing?”

“Oh, it is; for me that is. For them, photography’s pointless.”

I sighed. Her parents sucked too. “Mine aren’t any different. Sometimes, I feel like Grace and I just are a business deal for them before being their children. At least we have a future planned for us.”

“You think that?" She squinted her eyes at me.

“Don’t you?”

“I’d rather pave my own way than walk down the one my parents decided for me. And photography is the path I’ve chosen.”

“Wow.” I gaped. “You sure know what you’re aiming for.”

“Don’t you?”

“I mean, I’ve always loved photography, but I don’t know if I can go against my parents to you know, pave my own way. I need that cash.”