Chapter 4: "Appearances can be deceptive."

"So you exposed Allison's mom, during her daughter's funeral of all times?" Detective Richardson raised an eyebrow.

"As I said, I didn't have much of a choice. Ride or die, that's what it was. Well, the 'die' part wasn't meant for me of course. Tell me, detective Richardson, would you want to have someone else's blood on your hands, knowing that you could've done to stop it from happening?"

"This isn't about me, but... no. I wouldn't appreciate it. Besides, my connection with the law, makes it more complicated for me."

"I get it," I let out a low chuckle.

"Also, were you sure that your friend had been getting similar texts?"

"Why wouldn't I be sure?"

"Well, as you said, everyone has their own secrets and masks. You can't really trust anyone, can you?"

I held back an amusing giggle, "You're digging way too deep detective, getting the hang of these things a bit too much. I don't blame you. Anyways, as for the answer, I did trust Grace... at that time, at least."

"What do you mean by, "at that time"?"

"Let's say... Grace and I weren't the only players of this game."

"Then who else was involved?"

"Well... That's a tale worth telling."

******

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019

"What does it say?" I asked Grace, who had been gazing at her mobile screen, unmoving and paralyzed, "Grace, tell me!" I gave her shoulders a little shake before she glanced at me, as if noticing me for the first time

"I--" She looked around before darting to the bedside cabinet and pulling out a silver, metallic lighter from Maeve's drawer. Her hand hovered over her sister's fascinator hat, the one she had worn to Allison's funeral. Before she could grab it, I stopped her.