Chapter 82: "It started with the butterfly effect."

The interrogation room fell quiet as I pondered over the terrorizing memory. I could feel the cold sweat trickling down the side of my head, my hands turning ice cold and my breath hitching in my throat. I choked on a sob and bit my tongue. I don't expect to ever recover from something like that. I don't think I ever did.

Detective Richardson passed a hesitant glance over at me and pushed a glass of water in my direction. Without a word, I gulped it down in one go, feeling my nerves calm ever so slightly.

"Thanks," I said. "I should go on."

He nodded and proceeded to ask, "What happened next?"

"Something that changed the game completely," I answered.

"Another one of the Butterfly's tricks?"

I smiled to myself and shook my head. "No."

"Then who?"

A scoff escaped my lips. "Someone who knew exactly what she was doing."

******

MARCH 1, 2020

MARCH 1, 2020

Life can be the most unpredictable when you're at your happiest

Life can be the most unpredictable when you're at your happiest. One moment, you're unaware of the world and its people as you finally own up to your feelings for the person you love, the next moment you're hunched over his body as he bleeds through his shirt - gunshot to the chest, and before you even know it, he's on a stretcher, rushing through the gates of a place you never thought you'd be in for a long time.

Your ears have been stuffed; every voice around you sounds as if you're held under water, drowning, paralyzed, unable to move. You just stand there, helpless, as they take him into the Operating Room. The doors close right before you, leaving you all by yourself.

"Theo!" You hear his parents racing down the hallway, panic ridden across their faces as they look at you. It is then that you snap awake from the nightmare. You're finally aware of everything around you, but to your horror, the nightmare doesn't leave you that easily.