Chapter 84: "I need to have the upper hand this time."

"So, Francesca was...kidnapped?" asked detective Richardson, scrunching his nose. "By the Butterfly?"

"You heard that right." I shrugged, taking a sip of my water. "However absurd that might sound on the Butterfly's end, it was exactly what happened."

Detective Richardson raised his eyebrows and dropped them, either in defeat or disbelief. "It feels like I'm going in circles, but go on. We need to know everything."

I nodded, letting a small curve fall on my lips. 'Everything' was far from being done with. After all, the real danger had just drilled a hole into our hearts with Francesca's disappearance.

******

MARCH 2, 2020

MARCH 2, 2020

The Butterfly had struck again, right under our noses as always

The Butterfly had struck again, right under our noses as always. And this time, Francesca was their victim, possibly. It was like the past six months happening all over again -- someone goes missing; the cops are called in and a series of chain reactions are waiting to occur -- the butterfly effect.

Maeve and I were holding an unsteady Grace as she wept, mere feet away from the mirror with letters written in red lipstick. It wasn't just a threat this time.

This was reality.

Seconds later, I noticed Detective Gonzalez approaching us. There was the same expression of fluster on his face, the one he carried at every crime scene like it was chronic of him to do so.

"Where is she? What happened to her?" Grace barked in his face.

"We suspect it's a case of abduction," he answered, still keeping up the poker face.

"Weren't you supposed to protect us or whatever?" Maeve joined the yelling game. "You know what? We should've never trusted you in the first place!" she sneered.

"Maeve!" Josh hushed her deliberately. The whining stopped, but the glares remained.

"Anything else?" Grace spoke up again, to which the detective shook his head. Even if he did know something, there was no way he would disclose that information to potential criminals.