Chapter 76 : "I want my April back."

"You keep mentioning how dangerous the Butterfly was, but weren't they being too...unsuspecting of you?" detective Richardson asked.

"If I've known anything about the Butterfly is that they never revealed their cards until the last move, and once they did, the entire game changed," I answered.

"You sound like you're admiring them." He raised a brow at me.

I scoffed. "Detective, the best way to defeat your enemies is by praising what they have that you don't. More importantly, the way they think, the way they behave. You don't march into a war oblivious to your opponent's abilities, do you?"

******

FEBRUARY 24, 2020

FEBRUARY 24, 2020

"So, this is it," Kenji said as we looked over at the bleachers writhing with a crowd waving the flags of the schools they were supporting

Among the bustling people, my gaze finally landed on dad, holding a tiny Marlins flag and a grin radiating off his bright face. "It is..." I waved at him, making Kenji deviate his eyes too. The smile on his face was every bit of motivation I needed for the game.

"All alright between you both?" Kenji asked.

I inhaled and pressed my lips, nodding aggressively. "It finally is." But the fear of him getting to know everything about me and the Butterfly kept lingering at the back of my head to my obvious discomfort, something I couldn't take away so easily.

"You two good?" To my left asked Francesca, walking up to us in her swim robe, a critical raise of eyebrow following her question.

The smile on my face withered away, replaced by a business-only sternness, a nod answering her statement. I couldn't shrug off whatever she tried on me the last time we were under similar circumstances, and considering she was one of my top suspects, my mannerisms were rather righteous, so to say.

"Kenji, coach is calling you," she said. Passing me a brief glance, he left, leaving us both alone, kind of.

"I'm not looking forward to any more backstabbing," I said to her face, firm in my stance.