Chapter 15: "It's all over now."

"If Genevieve really seemed so kind and generous, why would she betray her own husband?"

"You can never understand what lies beneath a beautiful face, can you?"

"Hmm..." he tapped his fingers against his knee, "was that the reason why Theo wasn't close to either of his parents?"

"It was surely a part of the grudge he held against his folks, his mom in particular, but the real reason was because he was too worried of exposing his secrets to his loved ones."

"Judging by the way we've been getting along so far, I believe that you won't let me know his secrets right away."

"Not a chance, detective."

"I was expecting that, which is why, I have another question lined for you."

"Which is?"

"Why wasn't Genevieve's husband present at the festival? They must've been together, right?"

"You are indeed. You see, detective, everything in this story is linked. We knew the faces but failed to recognize them. People hide, some behind a disguise, while others, in plain sight, the latter more dangerous than the former, and once the masks are ripped, there's no going back."

******

S E P T E M B E R   2 4,  2 0 1 9

"Mhmm..." Stirring awake, I rubbed my eyes, adjusting to the surroundings as the corners of my head hurt.

"Hey, you okay?" A concerned voice asked me.

"Maeve?" Blinking away the blurry vision, I noticed a worried Maeve sitting next to me on a bench.

"I'm right here," she clasped my hand, squeezing it gently, "Do you remember what happened this morning?"

"Yeah um... I had a nausea attack. It must be some allergic reaction," I brushed it off.

"You aren't allergic to anything around here. What's going on Grace?"