Chapter 62: "I always keep my promises."

"So you distanced yourself from the group?" detective Richardson asked.

I nodded. "It was the best decision I had ever taken."

"How so?"

I smirked. "It led me to the snake, didn't it?"

******

JANUARY 5, 2020

JANUARY 5, 2020

The phone in Grace's hand wasn't hers

The phone in Grace's hand wasn't hers. It was Maeve's. Did she steal it from her sister? But why would she do that? Unless she came to know something crucial. I wasn't going down without digging deeper, either.

I pretended to enter my room and shut the door behind me. Grace wanted me gone and to venture into the unknown alone, and I would let her believe she succeeded.

Two minutes later, I peeked outside. She was gone. I heaved a sigh of relief and exited the room. Creeping along the hallway, I looked out at the courtyard. Grace was nowhere to be found, but soon my eyes landed on Theo in a corner, talking with Josh and the others. My heart leaped in my chest, and my breath hitched in my throat. Everything was so perfect, and now...

"Hey, have you seen Grace?" Maeve's heavy voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I thought she was with you?" asked Francesca.

She slapped her forehead. "God, my phone's with her!"

Maeve left her phone with Grace, and she took it upstairs? Why? What floor she was at? Meeting up with someone?

"Lights-out in fifteen," Professor Crandall yelled from the far corner. She was the faculty of residence on this floor, and hence, rallying the students was her job. Grace wouldn't go against curfew regulations. She always went by the book. She had to. The perfect Rosenstein was her tagline.

The music stopped, and the students started scrambling to their feet and dumped plastic cups and plates into the trashcan. I turned around and was about to walk away when--