Chapter 100: "I had no other option."

Note- The following chapter discusses heavy topics like suicide and drug addiction. Readers' discretion is advised.

******

"Isaak, as in Isaak Farha, right? Maeve's friend from the photography club?" detective Richardson asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"How did Maeve react to the revelation?"

I inhaled deeply and said, "She was heartbroken, naturally. Not to mention, she was already going through a tough time with her family."

The detective nodded, deep in thought before turning to me again. "It was midnight, the time around when--"

"Yes," I interrupted him, not wanting him to dig any further into the scar that caused me pain even months after it was formed. "I'll...get to that."

"Alright," the detective said with a nod, "shall we continue?"

I bit the inside of my cheek and bobbed my head, taking him back just moments before my life came crashing down on me.

******

MARCH 26, 2020

MARCH 26, 2020

The color from Maeve's face drained as she stared at the person before us

"Isaak, what are you doing here?" Grace asked, stepping closer to him. Isaak reciprocated with a speechless presence, looking back and forth between the three of us.

"Are you the Butterfly?" Maeve asked, her voice cold and devoid of emotion. The hint of betrayal lingered on her words.

"No!" Isaak blurted, waving his hands in denial.

"Then why are you here?" I asked, raising my voice to intimidate his already scared self.

After much inner conflict, Isaak bit his lip and pulled out his phone. Tapping on the screen a few times, he opened his messaging app and held it in our face. On it was a text from the Butterfly, just like the ones we had been receiving the whole night.