Chapter 88: "Mine wasn't the only heart that broke that day."

The following chapter contains mentions of drug use. Reader discretion is advised.

******

"So, Allison's mom confirmed Allison had no siblings?" detective Richardson asked.

I shook my head. "She confirmed nothing."

"Why would a mother not know if she had given birth to twins?" he asked, perplexed. I almost snorted at his words, amused at his curiosity.

"I think you're mistaken, detective," I said, shifting in my seat and crossing a leg over the other. "Siblings don't always have the same parents."

Detective Richardson's eyebrows arched up, and he slightly nodded. "I suppose you're right. But why did Francesca include that part in the murder board if it wasn't true?"

I smirked and answered. "Sometimes, the truth is closer than you think it is."

******

MARCH 7, 2020

MARCH 7, 2020

I leaned against a tree, watching Maeve as she took photos of the sky during sunset - a cocktail of purple and vermillion

I leaned against a tree, watching Maeve as she took photos of the sky during sunset - a cocktail of purple and vermillion. Ever since she returned from Vegas, she had been growing her portfolio, saying how she needed to get into a good photography college. Perhaps it was some fallout she had with Helena, but she would never bring her up in our conversations. And after what happened a few days ago, I figured it was a wise choice to never ask her about Helena again.

I should have been happy at that, but a part of me remained unsettled.

"What was the text about?" Maeve asked, lowering her lens and viewing the pictures.

I gawked, straightening up. "What?"

"The text." Her ice-blue eyes met mine. "The one you sent me while I was in Vegas. What did it contain?"

I clenched my fists and tore my gaze from her. I knew my answer could change the entire dynamic between us, or it could very well destroy everything we had. I had wanted this to happen when I sent that text, when I finally found the courage to take that step. But was I brave enough to go down the road for a second time? Losing a love you never had is easy, but losing a friend who you've had for what seems forever isn't.