Chapter 32: "I see you."

"The way Theo described Cassian Hawthorne seemed completely contrasting to his present self. It's like he developed a cold and self-centered persona over the once warm and selfless one. What changed?" Detective Richardson asked.

"You see, detective, change is the only constant entity in the universe. People change. Behaviors change. Love changes, and principal Hawthorne wasn't immune to that either."

"So you mean to say that his marriage with Cecilia Adair changed him?"

I nodded before sighing slowly, "Principal Hawthorne found... a daughter in Allison. With time, he came to the realization that his own son may not be as innocent as he had anticipated. Perhaps, he was the true reason why he and Genevieve split in the first place. Theo, on the other hand, didn't seem to care about his father's affections, but was it really so on the inside? Probably not. He could go to any extent to reclaim his dad's love for him."

"Even commit a murder?"

The corner of my lip curled up into a smirk. "I don't remember denying it."

******

NOVEMBER  8, 2019

NOVEMBER  8, 2019

"Theo..." I stormed into the infirmary, noticing Theo on one of the beds with a nurse finishing up with the ointment and band-aid application on his face. Glancing around, my eyes landed on Maeve and Josh bickering among themselves at a distance.

"What's going on?" I whispered on approaching them.

"It's all because of Roman!" Josh blurted out.

"Wh-- What do you mean because of him?"

"He--"

"You know how passionate these boys can be right?" Maeve interjected, cutting Josh's statement off. "Actually, it was Roman who launched the ball in Theo's direction, but it was too high for him to kick it, and so the ball just smacked Theo on the face."

Analyzing the bewildered look on Josh's face at her words, I couldn't bring myself to believe Maeve's statement. I glanced back at Theo, "But that doesn--"