Chapter 44: "You never call me April."

"So let me get this right. The butterfly was threatening Allison as well?" Detective Richardson asked, crinkling his eyebrows.

"Mhmm." I nodded.

"So what happened next?"

I smiled. "Detective, Allison had a god complex. She wouldn't bow down to some stalker."

"Even one who could kill her?"

"Especially one who could kill her."

******

SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

"What about them?" Lisa asked while settling before Allison.

"It's just that I feel... watched everywhere I go."

"Anxiety?"

"Never had it so bad as now." Allison shook her head.

"And how is that affecting your mental health? Can you elaborate?"

"I feel like I'm going crazy! I don't know whom to trust anymore, or if I can trust anyone at all. There's this whole paranoia that sticks with me during the entire day."

Lisa nodded. "Have you ever thought about taking a break from social media and giving yourself some rest?"

Allison scoffed. "I'm an influencer, Lisa. I don't do breaks."

"Before being an influencer, you're a human, Allison. And your anxiety will only grow if you keep pressurizing yourself into becoming someone you're not ready to become."

"But I love my job!" Allison insisted. "The sponsorship deals, the free destination tours, magazines having me as their front page cover? It's practically heaven! Not that you would understand, of course." She passed her a dirty look.

Lisa simply sighed. "Look, Allison, you're the one who came up to me asking for advice. You shouldn't have if you won't consider it."

"Can you tell me why Tobias is ignoring me, then? I might take your advice on that," Allison blurted out.

Dr. Martin furrowed her eyebrows. "Tobias?"

Allison gaped. "Oh, I'm sorry. Professor Hemmingway is what I meant to say."

"Allison, are you and he...?"

"We're fucking, yes," she yelled. "And what are you going to do about that?"

Lisa's face turned red in pure rage. Smoke emanated from her ears. "I'm letting your father know about this the first thing tomorrow morning."

The shock wave finally hit Allison as the gravity of her revelation weighed down on her. "... You wouldn't do that."

"Try me."