Chapter 81: "Because I love you!"

"So you went back to being friends with everyone?" detective Richardson asked.

I nodded. "It was time."

"For what?"

I smirked, trailing circles along the wooden table. The more I recalled that night, the more pain I felt. As if someone had been stabbing my heart over and over again, until it was nothing but hollow. "Time for everything to end," I finished.

******

MARCH 1, 2020

MARCH 1, 2020

"Hey, where's Theo?" I asked Kenji, interrupting his conversation with his friends

"I thought he was with you?"

I raised my eyebrows. "I haven't seen him since the last time you two were together."

He shared part of my nervousness and excused himself from his group. I felt my hands getting sweatier by the second. "We were in the backyard when he got a call."

"What call?"

He shrugged, looking indifferent. "He didn't tell me, but by the way he stared at his phone, I'd say he was in...shock."

My breath hitched in my throat, and I could feel my heart race. Was it the Butterfly? But why would they call him?

"Are you okay? Do you want me to go look for him?"

"No!" I said, almost yelling. Involving him in the drama would've made things a lot worse than they already were. Kenji looked just as confused as I had expected. He opened his mouth to say something before I interjected him once again. "I'll let you know if I find him." And I ran for the exit.

"Be careful! It's about to rain!" Kenji shouted, but I was long gone.

Outside, it was unusually silent, not a single person in sight. The wind had picked up speed and the trees swaying in them seemed to fall off any minute now. Thunder crashed through the clouds above, and I knew it would pour in seconds.