Chapter 112: "You're under arrest on grounds of suspicion of murder."

Detective Richardson released a long breath. "So you...confronted Allison?"

"Yup," I answered and nodded.

"Did you ever stop to wonder whether or not she'd actually uploaded that audio clip to the internet?"

I sighed and fiddled with my fingers. "No," I said, "and I regretted that later on."

"Ah yes, the world knows about that now, I believe?"

I gave him a small smile and bobbed my head, knowing there was much more to the story than the world thought it knew. It came with a betrayal. Several. Some that I reciprocated as well.

"So, shall we move on to the next bit?"

"The arrest, yes," I said and shifted in my seat. "Let's talk about that."

******

APRIL 13, 2020

APRIL 13, 2020

"Here," Kenji said, bringing me a glass of water as I sat on my bed

"Here," Kenji said, bringing me a glass of water as I sat on my bed. Theo had his hand on my shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze every once in a while. Grace and Francesca sat on Grace's bed. I wasn't expecting to see them giving me condolences, given my rapport with them over the past few weeks wasn't the greatest.

I chugged down the glass of water in one breath. I could still see Allison's face when I closed my eyes to slow down my breathing. The last time I had been this angry was before Mom's accident, and the more I felt the same anger surface, the weaker I got.

"There's no way she's getting away with all of this, right?" Kenji asked everyone in the room.

"Hard pass," said Grace with folded arms, "not after all the shit she spewed, no."

"I'm surprised with how much she's gotten away with already," I added. "All the bullying, all the torture and breaking school rules, and she still stands in front of us. All because of the fucking law?"

"There has to be a larger purpose behind everything," Francesca said. "Isn't it weird how suddenly she appeared out of nowhere and the school took her back immediately? No questioning, no repercussions, no confessions?"