Chapter 70: "She had it coming."

"What about detective Gonzalez?" detective Richardson asked.

"What about him?" I tilted my head to the side and pouted.

He furrowed his eyebrows at me, crossing his arms. "You know what I'm talking about."

"It wasn't my fault that he was deep into the mess as were we." I intertwined my fingers and leaned in. "And nearly not less guilty."

******

JANUARY 30, 2020

JANUARY 30, 2020

"What did you come up with?" Maeve asked no sooner than we arrived in the courtyard, our screens lit with the game staring at us from beyond the glass

"It's Chemistry!" I yelped, not believing my capabilities either.

"What?" Theo asked.

"Seventy-nine, eighty-eight, fifty-eight. They're supposed to be atomic numbers!"

"For gold, radium and cesium," Francesca added, a look of deep concentration on her face.

"Numbers become letters..."

"And letters become words!" I continued after Theo, turning to the game on my phone. Its cursor blinked mockingly from the white Type in Password box. "The symbols make the word AURACE."

"What is that, Latin?" Maeve scrunched her nose, throwing a confused expression. Truth be told, I didn't know the answer either.

"Shouldn't the password mean something? It can't just be anything, right?" Theo asked.

"Seconded." Francesca nodded. A feeling of failure crept into me. I was hyped about...nothing?

"It wouldn't hurt to try." Maeve's words raised my hopes. "We would still have another try."

"The last try, you mean," Francesca inserted.

Theo glanced over at me, parting his lips at my failed look. "Let's not be so pessimistic, alright?" he said, aiming specifically at Francesca.