Chapter 41: "One day you will understand."

"What do you mean, you fainted? Was it because of stress?" detective Richardson asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I lose my cool during stressful situations, but no. This wasn't one of those times," I said.

"So what was it then?"

I sighed, and a shiver ran down my spine. The hair on my arms stood on end. "Someone drugged me."

******

NOVEMBER 2 0, 2019

NOVEMBER 2 0, 2019

My head had been crushed under a massive weight

My head had been crushed under a massive weight. Needles poked through my skull. My chest was heavy and my throat parched.

I blinked open my eyes, adjusting to the brightness of the room, and inhaled deeply. I am safe!

"You okay?" a voice to my right asked. Turning my head in that direction, I noticed Francesca sitting on the bed next to me.

"Where am I?"

"In the nurse's office. You nearly drowned after jumping into the pool."

I massaged my temples lightly and groaned. "What time is it?"

"5."

I jolted awake at once and sat up straight, surprising her. "5? What about the race?"

Francesca sighed. "It got over half an hour ago."

I gaped at her words. "Who won?"

"We won. The Marlins won." She comforted me with a smile.

"Wha — That's great news!" I squealed and hugged her, but she didn't reciprocate. Breaking the hug, I gazed at her gloomy face. "What happened?"

She inhaled deeply, her eyes darting away, refusing to meet mine. "April... I have something to tell you."

******

SEVEN  HOURS AGO