Chapter 57: "I have to come clear."

"Was it possible that the butterfly was pinning you against the others? Driving you to blame one another?" detective Richardson asked.

"Like a blame game?"

"Yes?"

I smirked. "It had started way before any of us could notice."

******

DECEMBER 19, 2019

DECEMBER 19, 2019

Splashing out of the pool, I wrapped a towel around myself and made my way to the changing room

Splashing out of the pool, I wrapped a towel around myself and made my way to the changing room. The few swimmers present followed.

"Practising for the next swim meet?" asked Francesca, approaching me from the entrance, a black duffle bag swung over her shoulder.

"Yeah." I nodded. At the back of my head was this crippling fear of Francesca doing what she did at the Inter school championship. She might've apologized to me, but that didn't make her any less bad.

"You're still worried about my intentions."

I blinked twice at her words. Did I say it out loud?

"Your actions show hesitance," she answered my unasked question. "You have nothing to worry about, April. I don't make the same mistake twice."

I sighed in relief, but that was short-lived as I noticed Theo walk in through the door in his casual wear. Clearly, he wasn't here for practice. I had been ignoring him for almost a week now. What was I supposed to say when I saw him? I hadn't found an answer to his confession yet.

"Oh no."

"What's wrong?"

"Don't tell Theo I am here." With that, I ducked into the changing room, placing my ear against the door to listen to their conversation.

"Hey Francesca," Theo called out. "Have you seen April?"

"Haven't seen her soul all day." I was impressed at how gracefully she lied. Even I would've believed her. "Why do you ask?"