Chapter 1: "Have you ever felt like drowning?"

Sitting in the cold, silent interrogation room, I couldn't help but wonder how long it would take for me to be out of there.

It made me impatient. Tapping my finger on the smooth, polished surface of the table, I gazed at the ticking white, circular wall clock encased in a grey glass case with specks of dust around it-- time couldn't move any faster.

Sighing deeply, my eyes darted to the silver, metallic door at the far end of the room as it creaked open and a figure walked in, late forties or early fifties, dressed in a crisp black suit, with tousled, dark brown hair bearing an FBI badge. "Special Agent Elijah Richardson, FBI, and you are... April?" His voice was clear and loud, his grey eyes conveying the unsurety in his words.

"That's me," I answered, my voice full and affirmative as I sat up straight on my chair.

"Well April, I'm hoping you could answer some questions." He sat across from me, flipping open a heavy folder filled with photos and sticky notes. I looked at them carefully.

It was evidence. Everything was in there, everything that the police knew of, but far less than what I did.

"See, I'm just trying to make sense of whatever happened in this town, and from the reports here, I've got kidnapping, spying and multiple homicides. And you think you know who was behind it all?"

"What can I say? It has been a wild year," I let out a small laugh, relieved that the past was behind me now.

"Can you tell me what happened here? From the beginning?"

"Well... have you ever felt like drowning, where you don't really know what's going on around you, and then the sixth sense just kicks in and you realize that's something's very wrong?"

"I have, many a times in my life in fact."

"That's exactly how I felt. Trapped in a web of lies and secrets, with no leads in my hands and everything at stake, all of it because of the one girl around whom this story revolves- Allison Hawthorne."

******

SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

SEPTEMBER 1, 2019