Chapter 22: "That was it."

"So while attempting to do the right thing, you ended up doing exactly what was done to you?" Detective Richardson asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"You released the pictures to the police just like someone had used your phone to send the video filmed in Francesca's room to pin her to the crime."

"No. They aren't the same thing, detective. I had not threatened anyone with regard to the video. Professor Hemmingway had warned me against it. "I'll take matters into my own hands," it was pretty much of a threat, don't you think?"

"So what was it that he was really trying to protect?"

"Not what. Who?"

******

O C T O B E R  2 8,  2 0 1 9

"Why are you both gaping at your screens?" I asked my roommates, who seemed way busy than they normally did

"Why are you both gaping at your screens?" I asked my roommates, who seemed way busy than they normally did. Throwing the towel that was wrapped around my hair, I started to get ready for another day of classes.

"Haven't you checked your mail?" April asked me back.

"Um... No?"

"The SAT results are out!" Grace replied. My heart stopped beating as an unexplainable sense of dread crept into my chest.

"Huh?" I was at a loss for words.

"Come on! Check it out. Now!" She passed me over my laptop.

Sighing deeply, I opened up the website and punched in my username and password. I gaped at the loading screen with anticipation while the small circle rotated before finally coming to a stop. My eyes went wide at what I saw next.

"Maeve? You okay?" April gazed at me from behind my laptop.

"I-- I got a 1150," I answered in a hoarse whisper, my tongue not finding enough words.

"Oh my--"

"That's excellent!"

Thinking back about the time principal Hawthorne had asked me to score 1200 in the SATs, my heart bled out, "How's your result?"