Chapter 83 : "She was never gone to begin with."

Detective Richardson exhaled and took a sip of water from his glass, visibly exhausted by the details of everything that went down the night of March first. I would be too, if I were in his place. But maybe being on this side of the desk had its perks. You can't be any more taken aback by the horrors you've already lived through.

"That's a lot to unpack," he said, placing the glass back onto the table. "So that's how it all ended for the Butterfly?"

I scoffed, smirking rather arrogantly. "You're terribly mistaken, detective."

"Excuse me?" He blinked, half in confusion and half in recovering from the disrespect.

The smirk never left my lips, despite being slowly weighed down by the terrors I still had to go through in the story. "It was just the beginning. The final beginning."

"The final beginning of?"

I looked up, appearing menacing this time around. More alert. "The beginning of something even more terrible - the sinister conclusion to this twisted tale."

******

MARCH 1, 2020

MARCH 1, 2020

"The Butterfly?" detective Gonzalez asked once Francesca was done with the flashback

"The Butterfly," she said, nodding.

"Why did none of you report it to the cops? This is vital information!" he raised his voice this time, filling with frustration and rage.

A scoff escaped Maeve's lips as she rolled her eyes at the police officials. "As if you could've done anything better about it."

"Maeve!" Genevieve interrupted, glaring at the blonde as she crossed her arms. "You don't know anything about them."

For a second, I felt a pang inside my head, like something sounded wrong. It was indeed the cops' fault that we were all in danger. It was because of them and their incapabilities that Theo, her son, was almost dead. And yet, she was defending them? What kind of a woman was she?