Chapter 20: "Or maybe I'm just the better player."

"So you're saying that Crystal and Addison attended the same school?" Detective Richardson asked.

"That's right."

"And did you ever stop to think that Allison and Addison might be the same person?"

"The thought did cross my mind, but I wanna ask you a question first, detective."

"Go ahead."

"When does a person change their name?"

"Well, from my experience as a cop, it's usually because they're too afraid of exposing their real selves. Consider it as separating your personal and professional life, with the professional life usually being an illegal occupation."

"Precisely, except Allison wasn't hiding behind a fake name, she was hiding the past behind her true identity."

******

O C T O B E R   2 4,  2 0 1 9

"Roman and Isaak, coach is--" I stopped right outside the storage closet, noticing the bills Roman handed over to his friend while shoving something into his pocket

Aware of my presence, he looked in my direction, startled for a second before he pushed away the expression, "We'll be back in a sec." His tone was... surprisingly calm, something that I wasn't used to. "What are you waiting for, dumbass? Leave!" And he was back. Sighing, I walked back to the basketball court, the team waiting for me.

"Y'all know the rules, right? You'll go against the freshmen. Do whatever it takes to escape them. Think of it as the real match," coach Hughes delivered his pep talk, a moment after which the two prodigal sons returned to court. "Take your positions. Come on!"

Getting into my stance with the basketball in my hand, the coach blew off an ear-piercing whistle. In a second, one of the freshmen defenders reached out to slap the ball out of my hands. "Not so fast," muttering under my breath, I ducked and sprinted away, the freshman's hand grabbing nothing but the air.