59- I'm not a Roman Rider

I was woken up to the sound of eggs cooking and the scent of bacon being made. I sat up and stretched. If the White’s hadn’t come through I would’ve just eaten something from the McDonald’s breakfast menu.

Patty: “Good morning dear, there’s plenty of eggs and bacon in the kitchen feel free to help yourself.”

I ran a brush through my hair and walked out of their spare room to find their kitchen full of more Wrangler riders. I took a seat at the breakfast bar next to one that was closer to my age.

I was about to eat a fork full of eggs when he reached out his right hand and spoke to me:

“Hello ma’am I’m Lee and I ride broncs.”

Me: “Nice to me you I’m Leah and I compete in barrel racing and pole bending with my two horses.”

Lee: “That’s very cool, where are you from?”

Me: “Originally I grew up in North Carolina, but I now live in southern Ohio.”

Lee: “Wow Ohio how long of a drive was it to get you here?”

Me: “I’d say somewhere along the lines of five hours.”

Lee: “That’s practically halfway through.”

Me: “Yeah don’t remind me.” I joked.

I finished my breakfast and got to know the rest of the Wrangler riders that joined up with the White’s this morning.

Timothy: “Alright everyone we have a scheduled opening to borrow a local barn’s outdoor riding ring to get our horses out of the trailers and exercised. Follow us?”

There were tons of happy cheers and a lot of commotion as everyone picked up from breakfast and got ready.

The local barn is called “Just for Kicks” and is literally only five miles up the road. We got our convoy going. The Whites’ trailer is first followed by me, Lee’s truck, and another four horse trailer. We all pulled up and were greeted by a bunch of youngsters.

“Can we have your autographs!!?”

Patty smiled and pulled a sharpie out of her gun holster on her belt. I was surprised when one of them asked me:

“Hey who are you?”

Me: “I’m Leah and I’m new to the circuits this year.”

She smiled and handed me her lime green saddle pad. “Could you sign this for me?”

Me: “Sure honey what’s your name?”

“I’m Leah too.”

Dear Leah, no matter what life throws at you remember a horse is the best therapy.

Leah Lively

She read it before quickly hugging me and walking back to the barn.

Lee: “That’s your first of many autographs dear.” He twanged.

Me: “Yeah I know it’s just weird to have someone look up to me this time around.”

Lee: “You’ll get used to it.” He patted my shoulder and offered to help me get my guys ready.

He was dumbfounded when I climbed into my trailer and untied my boys and they walked themselves off and went right to the nice green grass at the end of the trailer ramps. One at a time I tied their ropes really long to the side of my trailer. That way I wouldn’t have to take their hay bags out and they could have some grass for a change. I cleaned out and changed the shavings in my trailer and by the time I finished that Lee had both of my horses’ saddles on for me.

Me: “Wow thank you very much.”

I handed him Mars’ headstall and told him what hole to put everything on.

Me: “Go ahead and adjust the stirrups to fit you.”

He looked all shocked.

Lee: “Really you’re gunna let me ride him?”

Me: “Yeah why wouldn’t I?”

Lee: “Well I supposed you can’t exercise two horses at the same time.”

I laughed and said that I’ve never done roman riding before and now’s not the best time to try.

----