23- Camping out

Tonight the 11 of us planned to camp out in the woods. We packed my truck with everything from tents and blankets to gasoline and wood for a fire. Blake and I rode in my truck and everyone else rode in Tyler’s lifted red Cummins.

There’s a clearing right next to a small river for us to park the trucks around and set everything up. Before nightfall the boys worked on getting the fire going and the girls and I set up our huge tent. We’d done it before so there was no need to look at directions. Courtney and I attached all of the tent poles and handed them off to Olivia and Liz who put them into place. We were done just as James threw the match into the fire. Everyone took turns setting out their sleeping bags inside and then we all chilled around the fire.

Me: (To Blake): “I hate how cold it’s been getting lately.”

Blake: (To Me): “I know, I guess that just means snuggling.”

I smiled up at him as he pulled me into his lap and wrapped his arms around me. I tilted my head up and kissed his jaw and snuggled into him. While in Blake’s arms I couldn’t help but sit there and watch Turner. He was constantly on his phone probably talking to Andrea.

He has told us the whole story how her last relationship wasn’t that great and she needs some time to learn to trust and love again.

Me: (To Turner): “Hey you know what how about you invite her out here with us for the night.”

Turner: “Y’all wouldn’t mind?”

I glanced around at everyone and no one said anything.

Me: “I don’t see why not.”

Turner: “Ok so I guess I’ll just go and pick her up.”

Me: “See you two soon.”

Tyler tossed his keys to Turner with a stern warning to not scrape it on the rocks anywhere. He nodded and headed out… carefully.

If I remember right it took us only about 45 minutes to get up to their party a few nights ago. So I expected to see them back here in about an hour and half. I checked the time on my phone and saw 8:45.

Now the ten of us just sat around the fire talking once in a while but just enjoying the peace and quiet. There’s something about building a fire in the middle of nowhere and just enjoying the wilderness that we all love.

At exactly 10:15 I could hear Turner coming up the trail.

Me: “Well welcome back.”

Turner: “Thanks.” He walked around to the other side of his truck and opened the door for his girl. She jumped down wearing her women’s Chippewa’s, blue boot-cut jeans and a camo sweatshirt.

Turner: “Andrea I don’t think you’ve met everyone.” He started at one end of the circle introducing everyone ending at Blake and me.

Andrea: “Nice to meet everyone thanks for letting me join y’all.”

Olivia: “No problem, we couldn’t stand Turner being alone over there.”

Liz: “And the constant clicking of his phone keys was getting pretty annoying.”

Everyone laughed and the two of them settled down next to each other, just keeping a normal conversation going.

1am rolled around pretty fast and I think I was the first one to mention getting some sleep. In order to not make things awkward the girls slept in one half of the tent and the boys had the other side, since Andrea did decide to sleep over with us. Just because I’m pretty sure she and Turner aren’t at the cuddling stage of their relationship just yet.

Luckily no one has work or school tomorrow so we all just slept in. I woke up first and pinned a note to the inside of the tent door;

Hey guys I left real quickly to grab eggs and bacon. If you wake up before I get back wanna start a fire to cook it over? See ya soon. –Leah

I brought back eggs, bacon, some paper plates and plastic silverware. I had quickly stopped by my house to feed my horses and came back. Courtney, Liz and Andrea were awake and working on a fire. Lazy assed boys can’t even wake up to help.

Me: “Breakfast is here, we just have to cook it.”

Andrea: “Sweet good thinking.”

Liz: “What time did you wake up?”

Me: “Only about an hour ago, why?”

Courtney: “Because none of us heard you leave.”

Me: “Wow, and why aren’t the boys and Olivia and Danielle up yet?”

Courtney: “I don’t know.”

Me: “Ok whatever.”

Liz: “That’s ok more eggs and bacon for us.” She said loudly directing her voice towards the tent.

We all laughed when James came stumbling out.

James: “What there’s food?”

Me: “Not yet just has to cook.”

James: “Damnit.”

Danielle walked out next.

Danielle: “Calm down babe.”

They’re such an awkward couple but they’ve been together for almost two years now.

I pushed the thought out of my head and got to work making everyone’s breakfast.

----