35- Remember this for me?

Me: “Wheeling in the winter is so much more fun!”

I quickly checked over my left shoulder and saw Blake still smiling.

Blake: “In about a week your tracks should be in and you can go too.”

I honestly couldn’t stop thanking him. I also would never forget what he said about being with me is the best gift he could ever have. No one has ever said something like that to me, and whole-heartedly meant it. I’ve had a few boyfriends in middle-school but they never compared to Blake and I.

We got back from being out in the woods and I had to get home to feed my boys dinner. Blake said he’d take his truck over once he put his Dad’s plow on, since they both have the same mounting system for it. I followed him in my truck and just parked at the end of my driveway.

I took my keys out of the ignition and went to turn around and head up to the barn. Suddenly there was a gloved hand over my mouth and I was being forcefully dragged in the opposite direction. I tried kicking and screaming. A man with a raspy voice whispered into my ear.

Man: “Fight anymore dear and you and you’re little man friend are both dead.”

Of course I calmed down only to be picked up and thrown into the back of a utility van.

There was someone else in the back as well, another girl about my age. The only difference is her hands are tied behind her back with a slice of duct tape over her mouth. I locked glances with her and only saw fear in her eyes and realized that this isn’t a joke.

Our capturer spoke next.

Man: “Oh she tried to escape. I’ll leave you free as long as you stay quiet.”

I rolled my eyes and obeyed.

It was a long ride to wherever we were being taken. I remember wanting to dose off, but also not wanting to because I was so afraid of what was going to happen next.

I felt so stupid for leaving my phone in Blake’s truck, which could’ve been what had saved me. I always had my locating software enabled just in case something like this had ever happened. I had gotten too comfortable with my surrounding now is when I needed it most.

Our kidnapper turned up the radio to some heavy rock-type music. I gained the courage and carefully scooted across the back of the van floor to sit next to the girl that was taken before me.

I whispered to her that I was going to take her duct tape off. Slowly I worked at it and eventually removed the piece from her face. She nodded as a thank you still afraid to speak.

Man: “Ok ladies we have arrived. If you two don’t put up a fight and things go smoothly you can go back home tonight, no questions asked.”

He stopped the van and got out. The back doors opened and he untied the other girl’s hands.

Man: “You two are awfully quiet loosen up and have some fun.”

Neither of us spoke and he laughed a horrible smoker’s laugh. Only to cough after.

Man: “Ok here’s the deal you two are my nieces. Don’t talk to anyone. Get it, got it, good.”

I made a point to look at his license plate before he made us follow him into a bar: Quebec 245 8394. He found us three consecutive seats at the bar. Canada’s drinking age is 18 so neither of us were ID’d. I guess I look 18 instead of 16.

Me: (To Man) “Uncle I need to use the bathroom. Do you have a quarter for a tampon?”

He sighed and dug into his pocket. I wasn’t using the quarter for a tampon I found their payphone by the bathroom. I quickly dialed Blake’s cell phone number. He answered:

Me: “Blake its Leah I don’t have time to talk I’ve been kidnapped remember this for me, Quebec license plate 245 8394. There’s another girl with me. We are in a bar named O’Shaggy’s somewhere in Canada. Please act fast.”

I hung up before he could answer and walked into the bathroom to wet my hands. I walked back out with my hands still wet.

Me: “Sorry I took so long the tampon machine was jammed.”

Other Girl: “I hate when that happens.”

There is a glass of water in front of me but there is no way I was going to drink it. I don’t know if he put a dissolvable drug in there or not. Our capturer got up and went to the bathroom as well. We could easily make a run for it, which is exactly what the other girl tried to do.

Me: (To her) “Don’t I called someone instead of going to the bathroom it’s a matter of seconds before the cops show up.”

She nodded and calmly sat back down. Our kidnapper nonchalantly strolled back from the bathroom. He took a sip of his drink while scrolling through his phone. Instantly the expression on his face changed and he threw some money onto the bar.

Man: “Ladies your aunt has gotten into a car accident we need to meet her in the emergency room.”

We both nodded and walked outside with him.

He vigorously pointed at me:

Man: “You! You called someone and now the police are after me! What did I say about taking things smoothly?”

In a matter of a few seconds his arm was tightly around my neck and he put a gun to my temple. The other girl gasped. His raspy voice was right in my ear again.

Man: “One more wrong move and I swear missy I will fire this through your brain.”

Tears started running down my face.

----