11- Grocery Store

We got back to the barn and I immediately took Mars’ saddle off. No dry spots just a normal sweat mark in the shape of the saddle pad, which means the saddle fits. If he had a dry spot where the saddle had been that means that it’s pinching him somewhere, and doesn’t fit, basically. His sweat mark wasn’t too dark so I just let him out with Cosmo. I checked to make sure the gate is locked, and locked the tack room.

Me: “So do you have any plans for the rest of the day?”

Blake: “Nope, do you?”

Me: “Well my Momma left me a grocery list…”

Blake: “I see where this is going because you don’t have a vehicle.”

Me: “She’d said she’d pay you gas money.”

Blake: “Nah the store isn’t that far away. Come on lets go.”

Me: “Thank you!”

On our way there we didn’t really talk much. I sat looking out the window trying to get used to my new surroundings.

Blake: “What are you thinking about?”

Me: “Home.”

Blake: “What do you mean, you live here now.”

Me: “I mean North Carolina, where I grew up, where I used to have friends…” I didn’t mention the whole falling out I had with Lindsay back home.

Blake: “Oh, but North Carolina I just thought you moved from a different town in Ohio.”

Me: “Nope. We lived in a small house in the city. I was born there, I went to school there. But it’s the change I have to get used to.”

Blake: “Don’t go getting all home sick on me. There’s gotta be a reason for you moving?”

Me: “My Momma’s work offered her a better position up here.”

Blake: “Are you sure that’s it?”

Me: “Well it worked out just in time because my best friend humiliated me in front of my whole 8th grade class.”

Blake: “Do you wanna talk about it.”

Me: “Yes but at the same time no.”

Blake: “You don’t have to tell me, I’m not gunna force you to say anything.”

Me: “Lindsay the girl I had been friends with all my life accused me of kissing her boyfriend, who I’d never even met, and she basically turned my whole class against me.”

Blake: “Oh shit, sorry I mean, damn, no I mean… sorry.”

We pulled in to a parking spot at the grocery store, and I just stayed in the truck trying not to cry. Blake walked around to my side and opened my door.

Blake: “Hey there’s no need to cry, Leah look at me…”

I did and we locked gazes for a few seconds. I looked away and then he said;

Blake: “I know you’re gunna smile, stop biting your lip…”

I gave in and smiled. He climbed up into his truck to sit next to me.

Blake: “Here scoot over. I know you’ve heard the line ‘everything happens for a reason.’ Look where you’ve ended up now, a huge house in the country, a barn, and two perfect rescue horses, and may I add a cute guy that cares about you.”

I looked over at him and simply raised my eyebrows. He put his arm over my shoulder;

Blake: “Don’t look at me all surprised, you know I am here for you, no matter what.”

I smiled and put my head on his shoulder. He pulled me closer so I was right next to his side. Now the big question is; are we friends or are we more than friends?

I reached into my pocket and pulled out our grocery list. Blake read it over my shoulder.

Blake: “What types of things to do you get for lasagna?”

Me: “You’ll see.”

He let go of me and we both climbed down from his truck.

Blake: “You have your phone right?”

Me: “Yeah why?”

Blake: “So we can split up and get the list done faster.”

Me: “Ok that works too.”