52- On the road again

Early the next morning I was woken up to a phone call. It was Sherriff Rogers again.

“Good morning Ms. Lively, everything went as planned; your horses are safe and no one was injured.”

Me: “That is really good news.”

“Yes ma’am it is. As we speak they are on their way to the Carroll County ASPCA.”

Me: “Okay thanks again Sherriff.”

I immediately pulled out my phone and called the ASPCA.

ASPCA: “Hello thank you for contacting the Carroll County ASPCA this is Emelia speaking.”

Me: “Hello Emelia I’m Leah Lively, I was wondering if you know anything about the two stolen horses that are supposed to be trucked into your facility today.”

Emelia: “Yes I do have information but I cannot release it to you over the phone, unless of course you are the registered owner of the two horses.”

Me: “I am I bought them about a year ago.”

Emelia: “Oh well in that case according to our lead Veterinarian both horses are safe and sound. It does not look like they will need any quarantine so they will be in free holding stalls until this Friday then it will be an additional $100 a night per horse.”

Me: “Okay thank you so much! I will hopefully be in early Thursday morning to pick them up.”

Emelia: “All that we ask is that you give the facility a call so they can have them all ready for travel back home.”

Me: “Alright no problem thanks again.”

We hung up and I ran downstairs to find someone to tell my good news to.

When I found no one home I jumped into my truck and headed for Blake’s house. Both he and his parents are home, thank goodness!

I parked behind Blake’s truck and ran up to the front door. I was greeted at the front door by their dog Rover.

Cindy: “Come on it Leah.”

I opened the screen door.

Me: “How’d you know it was me?”

Cindy: “Because Rover is a terrible guard dog, unless you are at the door, he’ll come running to meet you.”

Me: “Oh.” I said as I reached down to scratch the top of his head.”

Cindy: “So did you find anything out about your horses?” She said almost as if she already knew everything.”

Me: “Yeah they are on their way to the Carroll County ASPCA and are in free stalls until Friday.”

Cindy: “I wouldn’t want to hold up their stalls more than a day.”

Me: “What do you mean?”

Cindy: “Do you have plans for tomorrow, Tuesday morning?”

Me: “No why?”

Cindy: “I’ll call my friend and borrow her horse trailer and we can go pick up your boys.”

Me: “Ohmygosh thank you!” I pulled her into a tight hug.

Just then Blake came downstairs.

Blake: “I thought I heard your voice.”

Me: “Yeah I was planning with Cindy to figure out when to go pick my horses up.”

Blake: “Oh good everything worked out?”

Me: “Yes and they don’t need quarantine either.”

Blake: “That way they can be home sooner.”

Me: “Exactly.”

--

Early the next morning Cindy and I were in her truck with her friend’s trailer attached. I had already called the facility to tell them that we are on our way.

It was almost 10am by the time we got there. Cindy expertly backed the two horse bumper pull trailer up to the barn doors of the ASPCA.

Cindy: “Hey Leah darling, could you go get the back doors unlocked and find someone in charge, I need to find a restroom somewhere.”

Me: “Okay.”

I unlocked the back doors to the trailer and walked into the barn.

Me: “Hello?”

Instead of a human greeting me my boys both popped their heads out of their stalls to come see me. I scratched each of them.

“Hello miss I’m sorry but you can’t be in here.”

Me: “Oh hello I’m here to pick up my horses.”

“Then in that case we just need you step into the office and sign some papers and then we can release your horses back to you.” She paused. “I am so sorry I never introduced myself I’m Peggy the head barn manager here.”

Me: “Nice to meet you Peggy I’m Leah Lively.”

Peggy: “Whoa you’re Ms. Lively? I was expecting a much older woman.”

Me: I laughed slightly “No ma’am I own these two.”

Peggy: “They are very nice animals, really trusting too.”

Me: “Oh yes that was probably the whole problem they trusted the thieves and got right onto the trailer.”

Peggy: “I don’t know for sure but they don’t have any bumps or noticeable injuries so we can just assume.”

Me: “And how were they for their trip here?”

Peggy: “No problems whatsoever.”

Me: “Okay good.”

I signed the paper saying they were not harmed or injured in any way shape or form, during their stay at the ASPCA of Carroll County. Then another barn helper stepped in to help me load them up.

This guy was really nice and actually come to think of it, really flirty.

Drew: “Some very nice horses you have here ma’am.”

Me: “Thank you.”

He put each of their halters on and handed me the lead ropes, one at a time. As I was putting Mars on the trailer Cosmo wouldn’t stand still. He yanked his rope right out of Drew’s hand and walked onto the trailer all by himself.

I ducked under the separation bar and tied Cosmo in while laughing. Drew secured the butt bars and I made my way out the side door.

Drew: “I have never seen that before.”

We both laughed and I helped him lift the back ramp and lock the door.

He kept making eye contact and it was making me uncomfortable.

Cindy came back just in time for us to leave.

Cindy: “All set kiddo?”

Me: “Yeah.”

I waved goodbye to Drew, just being polite, and as I turned around I’m pretty sure he was checking out my butt.

Once safe back in the truck:

Cindy: “What was that all about?”

Me: “I don’t know he was being wicked flirty with me.”

We both laughed and continued our drive back home.

----