65- Safer after one Signature

As Blake started to drive away from the hospital I turned around to look back at the hospital to see that same man standing there laughing.

Me: “Okay so I just need to paint my truck, change my license plates and dye my hair, then he won’t be able to recognize me.”

Blake: “Whoa Leah honey… let’s just talk to my momma about it. We can just work with her to get you a restraining order through her law office.”

Me: “Oh, yeah that could work too.”

Blake: “Besides I would never let you dye your beautiful dark brown hair.”

He reached over and messed up my hair on purpose. I laughed and ran my fingers through my hair to somewhat fix it.

We pulled up to my truck and trailer at the rodeo grounds. There was a huge crowd of people standing around it and a “Welcome home” sign hung across the grill of my truck.

I slid down from Blake’s truck and was ambushed by my momma.

Momma: “LEAH I’m so happy my baby girl is alright.”

I was expecting her to tell me that I needed to go home right away and I was not allowed to continue competing at the rodeos.

Momma: “And Blake thank you for looking out for her and making sure she wore her helmet.”

Blake: “No problem Claire.”

John (Blake’s Dad): “So Blake we came to a conclusion. Since Leah is unable to drive and you missed the start date for your basic training, your mother and I will drive you truck home and you two can travel together.”

He looked over at me the same time that I looked over at him. Blake and I both smiled and were instantly in each other’s arms.

I groaned in pain and his arms fell from around me.

Blake: “Sorry.”

He kissed my forehead. Then leaned down and whispered in my ear; “Do you wanna go talk to my momma?” I nodded.

He let me out of his arms and took ahold of my hand instead. Together we walked over to Blake’s parents.

Me: “Hi Cindy could Blake and me talk to you real quick before you guys get going?”

Cindy: “Yeah sure what’s up guys?”

Me: “Well um can we actually talk in private?”

She nodded and followed me to the grandstand.

Me: “When I was leaving the hospital I saw the man that kidnapped me last winter. I don’t think he recognized me but I can never be too sure.”

Cindy: “Oh Leah dear how can I help?”

Me: “Blake said something about a restraining order?”

Cindy: “Yes of course, its gunna take a lot of paper work but I agree that would be the safest thing for you.”

Me: “How do they work?”

Cindy: “In simple terms he would not be able to come within 750 feet of you, no matter what. If he violates that he could either go on probation for 4 years or go back to jail for life.”

Me: “Does he get to pick jail or probation?”

Cindy: “It all depends on the circumstances.”

Me: “What if its probation?”

Cindy: “Then he will be strictly monitored with an ankle brace, will have to call his officer at least once a day and, will not be allowed to drive himself anywhere.”

Me: “Ok, so how do we get started?”

Cindy: “Let me make a call to the police station that filled and took care of the reports. Then I will get in contact with my law office in the morning and I will email you all of the papers. You will just need to carefully read them and sign, then we can get them to him and everything should be all set before your next rodeo.”

I reached over and hugged her for a moment.

Me: “Thank you it means a lot to me.”

Cindy: “I’m glad that you’ll be safer.”

Me: “Oh could you do me a favor and not tell anyone about me seeing him?”

Cindy: “I will have to tell your momma about it because even though you are 18, you live under her roof.”

I sighed.

Cindy: “I know dear.”

I thanked her again and made my way back to everyone and my horses.

--

The next morning Blake and I got a nice early start. We fed my horses and had everything all packed up and were ready to hit the road before everyone else had breakfast.

We decided to go out on our own and make a few pit stops on our way.

The next rodeo is in Athens, Georgia! Which is 5.5 hours by car, excluding our road-trip pit stops that we want to take on the way.

Even though I can’t compete in the next rodeo it will still be good to get my horses there so they can get out of the trailer for a few more days. Plus all of this traveling is great for them.

I am hoping to be able to compete in the rodeo after Athens… but time will tell.

----