51- Two steps forward

Two days after the good news I got a strange call on my cellphone, from an unknown number. I cautiously answered it:

Me: “Hello?”

“Hello Is this Ms. Leah Lively?”

Me: “Yeah and who’s this?”

“Sorry ma’am this is Sheriff Rogers of Belmont County. We’ve been closely tracking the thieves of your horses. We are sure that your animals are in no danger. We are awaiting the perfect moment to sweep in and take them off guard. A few hours ago they stopped in a field and we are planning on taking them in to our custody tonight.”

Me: “Okay that sounds good to me. I just have one question how are my horses going to get back to me in Carroll County?”

Sheriff: “We will provide transport via your local ASPCA. They will even check your animals over for injuries or anything life-threatening. They do recommend putting them in their quarantine for a week just to be sure they aren’t carrying anything.”

Me: “Alright. Thank you Sheriff.”

He said goodbye and we hung up.

I ran, and I don’t run, over to Blake’s house. I stood on his front steps catching my breath before knocking. John opened the door and asked if something was wrong.

Me: “No sir, I was just wondering, if Blake is home.”

John: “Nope sorry Leah you just missed him.”

Me: “Did he say where he was going?”

 John: “Something about going over to Evan’s house.”

Me: “Alright thank you!”

I took off back towards my house. I ran inside grabbed my keys and met him at Evan’s house. I parked my truck right behind his and slid out of my cab. Instead of going inside and crashing whatever him and Evan were doing. I texted Blake and asked him to come out to his truck. In the mean time I leaned against his grill.

Blake: “Hey how’d you know I was here?”

Me: “I asked your Dad.”

Blake: “Ah I see, what’s up?”

Me: “They’re arresting the horse thieve tonight!”

He didn’t say anything he just engulfed me in a huge hug. After a moment he let go and spoke.

Blake: “When will they be home?”

Me: “Carroll County ASPCA is taking them back here but they suggest a week of quarantine. Then they’ll be back to me.”

Blake: “That’s great news.”

Me: “I know right that’s why I couldn’t wait to tell you!”

I quickly kissed his cheek and let him go back to whatever him and Evan were doing. I trust him and didn’t even ask any questions.

For goodness sakes we’ve been together for almost a year and half now. I don’t need to ask about what him and his friend are doing.

I drove back home and went into my barn for the first time since my boys disappeared. I turned on the radio and cleaned. I took my sweet time and did their stalls. I swept the isle way and cleaned their tack. After that I went up into the loft and collected all the bailing twine that was lying around. I pushed all of the loose hay into a pile in the corner and then went inside to clean up.

The next morning I got an automated call from the Carroll County ASPCA.

ASPCA: “Hello Ms. Lively we have your horses safe and in our custody. We will be performing a blood test on both of them to determine if they should be quarantined or not. Please contact 1-800-224-SPCA to schedule a day and time to visit our facilities. Thank you have a nice day.”

Weird why would I need to schedule to visit the animals that I already own… I guess it’s just part of their system. I decided to call right away to make an appointment.

----