4- Dinner at the Wells' House

Every so often while talking to John or Cindy I would sneak a glimpse at Blake. He was wearing a florescent yellow muscle shirt, Carhart jeans, and some version of a logger boot, with no other than a Chevy hat. I wasn’t standing right next to him but I know he is for sure taller than me. I’d say he’s at least 5’8” and I’m 5’5” without boots. He’s tan from working outside with dark brown hair like his Dad and green eyes like his Momma.

The Wells’ ended up helping us put the leftover items back in the barn for the night. We would take it all back out in the morning but we had no idea if it was going to rain. I took down the yard sale sign and closed the barn doors.

John: “Wow this barn has a lot of potential.”

Dad: “Leah’s always wanted horses and we found a place with a barn, close to Claire’s work.”

Cindy: (To Me) “You ride horses honey?”

Me: (To Cindy) “Yeah ever since I could walk. I’ve just never owned one.”

Cindy: “Hey how ‘bout y’all come over for dinner at our house tonight?”

Momma: “Are you sure?”

John: “Yes, yes of course.”

I caught Blake roll his eyes and I laughed to myself.

They drove home to unloaded Blake’s truck and to “start dinner,” which we all know means tidy up the house real quick before guests come in. But that’s alright I wanted to take a quick shower and, rinse all the sweat from working all day, off. I didn’t bother washing my hair I just braided it off to the side. The three of us jumped into my Dad’s work truck and headed down the road. We walked onto their porch and the front door was already open just a screen door to keep the bugs out. Momma knocked and then we were greeted by a blue tick coon hound that happily trotted to the door.

I heard Blake yell the dogs’ name and he quieted right down. I think I heard him say Rover. A few seconds later I saw him walk down the hallway to hold Rover back and unlock the screen door.

Blake: “Sorry we have to have a lock on it or Rover will push it open and go hunting all by himself.”

Dad: “No worries.”

Rover instantly picked me to sniff out first. I cautiously reached down to pat him.

Blake: “Don’t worry he’s super friendly.”

Me: “Ok good.”

We all followed Blake into the kitchen where Cindy and John were working on what looked to be spaghetti and meatballs.

John: “Would y’all like a grand tour?”

Momma: “Sure!”

He showed us their finished basement/studio/movie room first. Saying how his job is a recording producer. He’s worked with Sam Hunt, and Brantley Gilbert. There were even a few signed guitars hanging on the wall. We headed back to the first floor and we saw the living room with a flat screen TV hanging over the fire place and a few different animal heads hanging off the wall. He pointed at a little buck. “That one was Blake’s first killed.” He pointed out a large raccoon and said that one was Rover’s first caught.” We had already seen the kitchen and dining room so next was upstairs. In the center has a round bookshelf full of a vast variety of novels and movies. In the center of the bookshelf stood a bear that pointed right at the stairs, as a guard.

Me: “Are there really bears like that around here?”

John: “Nah we bought that one.”

Me: “Oh ok good.” The bear is probably about my height and looks pretty terrifying.

Cindy: (from downstairs) “Dinner’s ready everyone!”

John quickly walked us around to point out their bedroom and Blake’s room. I guess he’s an only child as well.

We all washed up and sat down around the table. Cindy made homemade sauce and garlic bread over angel hair pasta. I broke the silence;

Me: “This is really good Cindy.”

Cindy: “Thank you dear.”

Me: Just to crack a joke; “Better than my Momma’s”

Momma: “Hey now.”

Everybody laughed.

Me: “No offense Momma.”

Momma: “Offense taken.” She joked.

The adults all had wine with dinner and Blake and I had sweet tea. I offered to help Cindy with the dishes and she was grateful.

Cindy: “Blake could learn a thing or two from you young lady.”

Blake: “What?”

Cindy: “You heard me mister.” She elbowed me and we both giggled. All we had to do was rinse the plates and put them in the dishwasher, she left the pots and pans to soak.

Everyone sat down in the living room to talk about the Wells’ old neighbors and give a story about each of the animals that were watching us. There are at least 5 whitetails, a moose and an elk. The adults each got a refill glass of wine and were starting to laugh a lot, at pretty much nothing. I hadn’t seen my parents laugh and have fun like this in a long time. They had always been miserable and stuck in an everyday routine in North Carolina.

Cindy: “If it’s ok with y’all do you want Blake to bring Leah home?”

Dad: “Yeah that’s fine, Leah looks pretty bored anyways.”

Blake grabbed his keys and we walked out to the garage where they park their vehicles. John drives a 09 Silverado and Cindy drives some version of a Trailblazer. Blake’s truck is parked the furthest from the door, and I had to jump just to get in. He laughed at me.

Me: “Hey I’m too short for your truck.”

Blake: “I can see that.” He laughed again.

----