8- Getting home

Me: “There!”

I attached the last clip for the electric fencing that Dad and I picked out. We strung the tape and hooked it all up to the solar panel system that keeps the fence charged. I hung this cool little thing on the fence that tells us if it’s live or dead. Then I flipped the switch to turn on the power. The light started blinking saying that it was on.

Me: “Yay, it’s all set.”

Dad: “How can we be so sure?”

Me: “Because the light is blinking, and no I am not touching it to try it out.”

I shut the fence back off since we don’t really have a use for it…yet. We fenced in most of the front yard and a pathway to the barn. That way you just have to open the stalls and the gate to the pasture and the horses can out by themselves, to save time.

Momma: “Leah do you have any plans for tomorrow?”

Me: “No why?”

Momma: “Cindy just called me and asked if you wanted to go to a horse auction with her tomorrow?”

Me: “What! Yes of course I want to go!”

I just had to take my savings money out of my account at the bank. The money I had been saving since I was 5.

Momma: “She is borrowing her friend’s horse trailer to bring just in case you two find something. But that doesn’t mean you have to come home with one.”

Me: “One?”

Momma: “No more than two Leah!”

Dad: “Remember you are going to have the responsibility of feeding and cleaning up after them.”

Me: “Yeah I know.”

Dad: “No more than two horses Leah, and please don’t go for a basket case just because they’re pretty.”

Me: “I know Dad.”

--

The next morning I got up bright and early as usual and got dressed. I made myself a bagel and grabbed my wallet. Cindy picked me up with John’s truck and her friend’s trailer, right on time.

Cindy: “How are you this lovely morning, dear?”

Me: “Absolutely excited!”

She laughed at my happy attitude.

Cindy: “So I might have another surprise for you… I know a guy that is going to let us look around the auction lot before the public gets to see them. That way you can know which one you want to bid on.”

Me: “That is amazing! Momma and Dad said I can get two, but they said not to settle on a basket case.”

Cindy: “That’s exactly right you don’t need to get a horse, or two, today… There are other auctions.”

I nodded and we pulled into the auction lot. Just like Cindy said a man brought us behind the scenes to see all of the horses up for auction. There were maybe about ten different pens with an average of five horses in each pen. He told us they were sorted out by age and value. The more valuable horses are in the pens on the left and the younger ones are kept in the pens at the back.

Me: “What do you consider a valuable horse?”

Mr. Eggers: “Great question young lady. These fine animals here on the right are not trained and are pretty much straight out of the wild. Contrary to the ones on the left that are trained under saddle.”

Cindy: “So you want to start by looking at the horses on the left dear.”

Me: “Okay.”

I started by looking at the older horses first and none really caught my eye. I walked to the “teen-aged horses” and found the two that I want!

Me: “What do the red ropes around their necks mean?”

Mr. Eggers: “That means those two must go together.”

Me: “Do you know a history on them?”

Mr. Eggers: “Let me just go and grab their paper work.”

I thanked him and talked to Cindy to see what she thinks.

Cindy: “They look perfect for you Leah, and the fact that they already know each other and are being sold together.”

I turned around and read every little bit on each of their papers. The gelding is named Cosmo, a 10yr old black and white paint. Nothing stood out in his papers that seemed dangerous or risky. Then I read about Mars, the palomino quarter horse gelding, and again nothing stood out.

Mr. Eggers: “What do you think honey?”

Me: “I’m going to bid on them.”

Mr. Eggers: “I’m not supposed to do this but go ahead and take them right now for $500 each.”

Me: “What really!”

Cindy: “Dan we don’t want you getting in trouble.”

Mr. Eggers: “I’m retiring soon anyways, and I can’t pass up a young lady getting her first horses.”

I shook his hand and thanked him about ten more times. I paid as Cindy backed the trailer up to load them.

They both went on without any problems! My dream came true!!!

----