38- Setting things straight

We pulled into my driveway after going out to dinner. My Dad had used my spare keys to move my truck out of the road. The barn was all closed up and my boys were inside and fed for the night. I stepped out of my Dad’s truck followed by Blake. I cautiously checked over my shoulders, out of a new habit.

My parents and Cindy agreed to let Blake sleep over at my house, which was weird for them to agree that easily. My Momma tossed me her set of house keys and I went inside first. I planned on taking a nice hot shower and going right to sleep.

All of the lights were off in the house until someone on the other side of the living room turned them on. I was surprised by all of mine and Blake’s friends. They planned a welcome home party. I was engulfed in a huge group hug, including Andrea. I guess her and Turner started dating after all!

Me: “Thanks y’all for the surprise but if you don’t mind I just wanna go to sleep.”

Courtney: “Alright dear, sleep well.”

I was hugged by each of them individually and they headed out to Blake’s backyard to light a bonfire. I took my hot shower and got ready for bed. Blake came back over once their bonfire burned down to nothing. I was already lying down pretty much half asleep when he came in and lied down with me.

Blake: “I’m never letting you out of my sight again.”

I flipped over so I was facing him and snuggled right into his warm body without saying a word. He tightly wrapped his arms around me and we both fell asleep like that.

--

The next morning he wasn’t in my bed next to me.

I woke up, stretched, and slid my bare feet into my slippers. I slowly padded down stairs after taking a pit-stop in the bathroom. I could smell bacon and eggs cooking in the kitchen. As I rounded the corner I could see that Blake made us breakfast. I let a smile spread across my face as he handed me a cup of coffee, just the way I like it.

Blake: “Good morning, my beautiful.”

I smiled again and hugged him tight.

Me: “I really appreciate all of this.”

Blake: “Least I can do.”

I looked at him all confused. Then I realized he is blaming himself for what happened to me.

Me: “It’s not your fault.”

Blake: “I just feel like it is, for not making sure you were safely in the barn or something.”

Me: “You can’t control everything that happens.”

Blake: “I just wish I had been there to fight him off.”

Me: “I would’ve put up a fight but he threatened to kill the both of us, if I did.”

He fell silent.

Me: “I meant to tell you that.”

Blake: “No I’m glad you did. I had no idea. It just didn’t seem like you to not at least try and fight him off.”

Me: “When I made that phone call I left him and the other girl that he captured, at the bar. I had said that I needed to go change my tampon and left to go to the bathroom. I used the quarter he gave me to make a quick phone call instead of buying a tampon.”

Blake: “That’s my smart girl.”

Me: “It wasn’t until he abruptly got up and told us we had to leave that I actually feared for my life. I knew by then that he had found out what I had done. He grabbed me by the neck and held a small gun to my temple. Lucky for me he changed his mind and said he ‘would never be able to actually kill someone.’”

Blake sat there shocked; mostly because the fact that I could’ve been killed.

Me: “Sorry you’re the first person I’ve ever told, behind the Canadian cop that had interrogated me.”

Blake: “its ok I just never thought you were really in danger.”

Me: I changed the subject by saying; “I bet our breakfast is getting cold.”

We ate and didn’t really find anything to talk about. I scrolled through my Facebook and he also fiddled with his phone.

Unfortunately we still had to get our butts in gear in order to make it to school on time.

----