34- Winter fun

I came back inside after letting the boys outside. As I went to get ready for school I made myself a cup of coffee and flipped on the TV to our local news channel. As soon as the cable loaded the volume was way too loud! I fumbled with the remote to turn it back down to a normal level.

I heard someone coming down the stairs, realizing it could only be Blake, since my parents had both already left for work.

Me: “Sorry, did I wake you?”

Blake: “Not really, I had reached for you and when you weren’t there is when I woke up.”

He plopped down on the couch next to me. I sipped on my hot coffee as we both watched the school closings scroll at the bottom of the screen. Carver Middle-High School: CLOSED!

Me: “YES!”

Blake smiled at me and then lazily went back up to my room and fell asleep.

Me on the other hand; I went back outside to find something to do. I already had a cup of coffee I wasn’t going back to sleep until later that night. I brought Cosmo inside and removed his blanket. After carefully folding it and putting in place in the tack room, I brought out my bucket of brushes and continued to get him ready to ride.

The majority of the snow came overnight, so by now it was clear, but the roads are still too treacherous.

I finished tacking up Cosmo only to be reminded that Mars was still alone out in their pasture. I took Cosmo for a quick ride in the backyard, put his blanket back on and let him rejoin his buddy. I checked my phone and saw noon. I started the tractor with the bucket and drove into their pasture to pick up manure.

I have this thing where if a horse pasture is in your front yard, like mine, it should at least be kept clean. Since I keep it clean it took me less than 45 minutes to go around this time. I parked the tractor back in its place in the barn and headed back inside.

Blake still wasn’t up yet. Whatever I’ll just let him sleep. I flipped on the TV to this new show on MTV called “Slednecks.” I ended up dozing off, since I worked off all of the caffeine.

--

A few hours later I was woken up to the boys whining excessively outside. I woke up and went to stand in the living room window. It had snowed a lot more while I was asleep and a large tree limb fell with all the extra weight. Of course it had to come down right on the electric fence. Now the boys are loose and running all over the front yard. I ran upstairs and woke Blake saying the horses are loose! His eyes snapped open and he rushed to tie up his boots and run outside in just a t-shirt. We wrangled them both back up and put them in their stalls.

As for the fencing I shut it off and we both worked together to drag the tree limb into the woods. Fortunately nothing was actually damaged I just had to restring some of the lines. I let the boys back out and followed Blake into my house.

Blake: “Well now that I’m up, wanna go wheeling?”

Me: “In the winter?”

Blake: “Yeah I have these really cool things that you’ll have to see to believe.”

We took my truck to his house, since he walked here late last night. Blake opened the garage door at his house and found these things called “TracknGo’s.” They are these awesome clip on snowmobile type tracks for a truck. He laid them out in his driveway and drove into them, only to simply screw in a few bolts on each and we were ready to go.

Just to show off he drove right towards a snowbank. As we got closer and closer he wasn’t slowing down. I think I yelled at him before impact. Or the impact that didn’t happen, the truck went right through it as if it were just lightly packed fluffy snow.

Me: “Damn I need to get myself a set of these.”

Blake: “No worries I already did, early Christmas present… Surprise!”

I looked at him shocked and literally jumped across his bench seat and give him a hug.

Me: “Now that’s gunna be a hard gift to top.”

Blake: “You don’t need to top it, Leah, just being with is the best gift I could have.”

Me: “Aw baby.”

I kissed his cheek, and we continued out into the woods.

----