45- Reunited at Last

Me: “You know what would really be fun?”

Blake: “What hun?”

Me: “Invite the whole gang over to go mudding, do a bonfire in the woods, and sleep out there.”

Blake: “That’s my girl!”

He wrapped me in a hug and simultaneously sent a group message to everyone in our friends group, including the west high rednecks.

In less than an hour my driveway is full of a total of 14 trucks and jeeps. It would’ve been 15 but I’m riding with Blake.

We lined up and started off our night like we always do; by driving loudly through town covering our plates with heavy black diesel smoke.

Our train of off road vehicles made its way into the center of the woods. I could hear the cops at all the exits of the trail. Just for our safety we parked one vehicle at every entrance to the trails, removed the license plates, covered the VIN number, turned the wheels all the way left, threw them in four wheel drive, and locked them. That way the cops can’t come in after us and they can’t tow the vehicles out of their way.

Besides our town is too cheap to hire SWAT or a canine unit, all we have to worry about is getting out in the morning. But for now time to party!!

The boys all worked together to chop down some trees for bonfire fuel, while us girls sat on Blake’s tailgate.

Courtney: “You have no idea how good it feels to have our whole crew back together.”

Me: “I know I really missed this.”

Andrea: “Wanna help me set up the tent?”

Me: “Tent? I was planning on sleeping in here.” I said as I pointed to the bed of Blake’s truck.

Elisa: “Please help, because some people don’t like to follow directions. *cough* Danielle *cough*”

We all burst out laughing.

Me: “Yeah I’m on it.”

The nine of us teamed up and had the tent up and secured before dark, and the boys were just coming back from a walk to find wood.

We got the bonfire wood all piled up in the center of the clearing we were standing in. Olivia grabbed her bow and an arrow from her Jeep. Just like in Luke Bryan’s music video we doused the fire in gasoline and stepped back. Olivia lit an arrow on fire and shot it at the wood pile.

The pile lit up in flames before the arrow touched the first branch. That’s why they say if you light a fire with gas step back because the fumes are just as flammable. We aren’t some stupid, reckless, kids that aim to get themselves hurt.

I sprinkled a bag of Lays classic potato chips into the fire to keep it going strong.

As the fire was dying down everyone else took advantage of the light and set up their sleeping bags inside the tent. Blake and I on the other hand had already set up our in the bed of his truck. We were put of fire duty.

Before everyone went to sleep Blake and I took a walk to check on all of our vehicles at the trail entrances.

Still all set!

As we got back and cuddled up in his truck bed Turner stepped into the tent and zipped it closed. I guess he was watching the fire while we were gone.

The main reason Blake and I didn’t sleep in the tent with everyone else was because we are in charge of making sure the fire doesn’t light back up and start a forest fire. Turner’s white Ford’s bed is filled with gallons of water, and one fire extinguisher, you know just in case.

Blake and I slept in shifts three hours and then we switched. I don’t know how we were elected for fire watch, but we dealt with the responsibility.

----