64- Twists and Turns

Charlie and I said our goodnights and we went to sleep in our rooms.

When I woke up the next morning I was no longer a ghost. I opened my eyes and winced because of how bright the light is. My head is pounding and it really hurt! I groaned in pain and Blake’s hand tightened around mine.

Blake: “Leah my beautiful girl.”

A smile and a look of relief spread across his face.

Me: “Whoa what happened to me?”

Blake: “Cosmo lost control of his speed and stopped fast and you flew between his ears. You have a broken nose, and you fractured both of your thumbs and index fingers.”

Me: I covered my face with my bandaged hands. “That’s so embarrassing.”

Blake: “Yeah but your teammates really care about you.”

I looked at him confused until he pointed at the windowsill that was full of flowers and balloons.

A nurse came in just then.

Nurse: “Hello Leah dear I’m glad to see you awake. We do need to take you down to imaging to see how bad the swelling is.”

I nodded and closed my eyes because I remembered how much my head really did hurt.

--

Once they determined that the swelling is completely gone and it was a miracle recovery, I was released. I just had to check on someone real quick.

I walked back into the ICU and found room 2035. Charlie.

I looked at the papers hanging next to her bed and found her real name, Carrie. I knew she was standing in her room with me.

Me: “Charlie are you there? I just wanted to take a second to tell you that you name is Carrie. And I’m all healed and have been cleared to leave. If you wake up I’m gunna you leave you my phone number. Feel free to call me okay?”

I felt a chill come over my body. I knew she is in here with me.

I scribbled my first name and phone number onto a pad of paper beside her bed and I wiped a tear from my eye.

Me: “I hope to be able to talk to you again Carrie.”

I walked out of her room and my arm was grabbed by Patty.

Me: “Patty what are you doing here?”

Patty: “I was coming to see how you were doing. I was just up in Lee’s room.”

Me: “Lee, what the hell happened to him?”

Patty: “He fractured his wrist when he fell off a bronco.”

Me: “Can I go see him?”

Patty: “Yeah room 212.”

I nodded and thanked her.

I walked in and covered my mouth so I couldn’t gasp.

There was a man in the room and I recognized him before he realized who I am. Last winter when I was kidnapped, it was THAT man!

I walked away as fast as I could. Once I was safe in the elevator I dialed Blake’s phone number.

Me: “Blake??? Where are you?”

Blake: “Leah hey what’s wrong?”

Me: “I’ll tell you in the truck, where are you??” I was now sobbing and hyperventilating.

Blake: “I’m headed out to the truck I’ll be parked in front of the main entrance to the hospital.”

Me: “Okay.” I hung up and continued my really quick pace.

--

I jumped up into his truck and scooted across his bench seat to wrap my arms tightly around him.

Blake: “Hey Leah darling what’s wrong?”

Me: “I bumped into Patty on my way down here and went in to see Lee because I guess he fractured his wrist when he fell off a bronco. I went to go to his room to visit him and the guy that kidnapped me a few months ago was standing there in his room.” I talked really fast and then started to cry. “I-I t-hought I would never see him a-again.” I sobbed and tried to get my words out.

Blake: “Hey easy. What are the chances, you could’ve been mistaken.” He kissed my temple. “Concussion remember?”

Me: “No I know for sure it’s him.”

Blake: “Leah baby girl take a few deep breaths, you’re scaring me.”

I sat there in his truck in his arms as I worked to slow down my heart rate and my breathing.

Once I was a little bit more under control we headed back to the rodeo grounds, where I was reunited with all of mine and Blake’s family.

----