18- Muddy footprints

It did rain just like Blake said so. Not only did it rain but it turned the horse’s pasture into a lake! I ran outside to let them into their stalls and as soon as I opened the front door I could barely hear myself think. The rain came down in sheets. It rained all day Friday, ever since the early morning until late that night.

Do you know that feeling when rain makes you tired? When the weather’s bad all you wanna do is sleep. Well that happened to me and I accidentally slept until noon on Saturday. I suddenly woke up from this random dream and remembered the boy’s hadn’t even had breakfast yet. I threw on jeans, a comfy flannel and my Carolina’s. I fed my horses and let them out in their muddy pasture. When it rains it pours here like damn.

I went back inside to grab something to eat and heard a heavy rumbling noise echoing down the road. I peeked out the front windows in the living room and saw Connor, Evan, Tyler, and James’ trucks speed down the road. Then Blake called me;

Blake: “Hey beautiful wanna come out with us?”

Me: “Yeah sure when?”

Blake: “Now.”

Me: “Now?”

I heard his truck pull into my driveway as soon as he said that.

Blake: “Right now.”

I smiled and went outside.

Me: “What are y’all doin’?”

Blake: “Going Muddin’!”

I heard the boys’ yells YEEYEE and it made me laugh.

Me: “Alright I’m in.”

We all ended up sitting in the bed on Blake’s truck. Apparently it’s more fun to get muddy from the bed of a truck. They tricked me. By the end of the trail I’m covered headed to toe, my clothes are soaked through with mud, and now I’m freezing. Blake stopped back at his house and you can’t even tell that his truck is blue. I jumped over the side and gracefully landed on the ground.

Blake: “Ha wow look at you.”

Me: “I’m really cold.”

Blake: “I bet.” He grabbed an old blanket from the back seat of his truck and came over to wrap it around me.

Just before he threw the blanket around my shoulders I hugged him while in my muddy clothes.

Blake: “Aw really come on!”

Me: “Sharing is caring!”

He just stood there laughing. I ran my hand down one of my arms and smudged some of the mud across his face. Since my face is already covered he just drew a heart in the mud on my cheek. 

Blake: “Here let’s go inside you can just shower here.”

Blake’s buddies had left to take their trucks out on the trail we were just on.

Me: “I don’t wanna leave footprints on the floor.”

He smiled and I stood outside unlacing my boots. He came back with three towels that he laid across the floor. When I stepped of the previous towel he laid it back out in front, basically creating a pathway to the shower. I successfully left no footprints.

The way their bathroom is set up is in two parts. You walk in the first door and the toilet and sink are there. At the far end is a second door where the shower is.

Blake: “Here take your muddy clothes off and leave them in here, and go take your shower.”

He stepped out and closed the door behind him. I peeled off my muddy clothes and left them on a towel on the floor. I walked through the second door to the shower area and locked it. I patiently waited for the shower to warm up and stepped in. It took a good five minutes for the water coming off of me to turn clear.

I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around myself. I didn’t think this through because I didn’t bring a spare set of clean clothes. I went into the first part and saw that my muddy clothes are no longer on the floor. There’s a clean set sitting folded nicely on the closed toilet lid, with a note on top. “Leah here borrow some of my clothes until yours get out of the wash.” He gave me a pair of his athletic shorts and a baggy college sweatshirt. I took the hair elastic off my wrist and threw my hair up into a messy bun.

I walked out of the bathroom and heard the TV on in his room.

Me: “There all clean.”

He smiled at me.

Me: “What? Did I miss a spot?”

Blake: “No you look adorable in my clothes.”

He got up off his bed and came over engulfing me in a tight hug. We stood there like that for a while just listening to each other’s breathing. He loosened his arms and I felt him step backwards and towards his bed while still holding me.

Blake: “Lie down with me?”

I nodded and we ended up taking a nap cuddled together on his bed with the TV playing the Top 20 Country Countdown in the background.

----