15- Leah's new ride

Next week we go back to school. I can’t believe summer’s almost over. I had been working and I finally saved up to register whatever vehicle that I can find. My parents said they would make the first two month’s payments and I would register and get it inspected. After those first two months I would be responsible for paying it and filling up the tank. It all sounded fair enough to me. My Dad and I drove into town to look at a few different used car places. I didn’t need to buy a brand new car; a car that’s new to me would work just fine. There are three places and I had my Dad guess which one I was gunna pick.

Me: “There’s a Chevy, Ford, and Dodge dealership, guess which one I wanna go to.”

Dad: “That’s easy you’ve always wanted a Chevy.”

Me: “Correct!”

He flipped on his blinker and turned into the Chevy dealership.

Another thing I hadn’t told him is that I really want a truck! This way I won’t be so dependent on Blake’s truck when I need to go pick up grain and stuff for my horses. Dad parked his car and I started walking to the truck section, and he got all confused.

Dad: “Leah I thought you wanted a car?”

Me: “No Daddy I really want a truck.”

He nodded and just followed me around the dealership’s used truck lot. About five trucks down there was a beautiful dark blue one. Crew cab short bed that was already rhino lined. The seats weren’t leather so it was all good. I hate leather seats; they’re cold in the winter and sticky in the summer.

Dad: “Do you like this one?”

Me: “A whole lot!”

Right on a queue a salesman walked over to us.

Salesman: “So I hear you’re interested in buying a truck?”

Me: “Yes sir I am.”

Dad: “Technically I’d be buying it just putting her as primary driver on the insurance plan.”

Salesman: “That’s a much smarter plan.” (To my Dad) “Would you like to take it for a test drive?” (To me)

Me: “Yes please.”

He went back inside and grabbed the keys and the three of us hopped in. We drove around for almost an hour as he pointed out all the specks and helpful things, including a towing package. The one thing I didn’t notice this is a diesel. Much more expensive at the gas station, otherwise I love it!

The salesman said that this is the only used truck on their lot in this color and remarkable condition. I said that’d I’d take it and we sat down to talk money.

Salesman: “Due to this being your first purchase with us, we are willing to make your payment plan more than doable. We can make it $150 per month for 48 months.”

Dad: “Are there any fees for missing a payment?”

Salesman: “We have missed payment forgiveness. If you happen to forget to pay one month your payment will not go up. What we can do is give you that month free just make it so you end up paying for 49 months instead. Just remember you have two strikes that you can use and they cannot be used consecutively.”

Dad: “So what are we talking for a payment to get the truck today and on the road?”

Salesman: “The first month’s payment and we can inspect it for the half the cost of the state inspection’s office.”

Dad: “It would be $150 plus how much for an inspection?”

Salesman: “$50.”

Dad: “For $200 it will have temporary plates and a valid state inspection and be able to be on the road today?”

Salesman: “Is that anything you would be interested in?”

My Dad and I both agreed. He paid the $150 as one of the first months that my parents promised they would pay, and I paid the $50 for the inspection. I now have 2 months until the temporary plate wears out and I have to get a real one.

It only took them half an hour to get everything to get my truck all set. I am able to drive it home tonight! I wonder who’s gunna be the first person that I show it to…

----