50- Good news

I spent the whole night crying in my room. I was grieving about my boys. I kept thinking of the worst; what if they were hurt, what if their fate wasn’t a nice one…?

My momma came into my room a bunch of times. The first time was with a box of tissues.

Momma: “Leah please try and be strong I hate seeing my baby girl so sad.”

I bit my lip and forced a smile.

Me: “I’m trying Momma.”

I little while later she came back in with a steaming hot cup of chicken noodle soup. Not the from a can version, her homemade soup passed down for generations.

Momma: “Leah? Here you go darling.”

I stood up and hugged her tight.

After I finished my cup of soup I opened my bedroom window and climbed out onto the ledge to look at the stars.

It’s always just so peaceful sitting here. The only sounds you hear are the rustling of wildlife below. I can’t believe I lived in the city for so long, when I was missing so much out here.

I lost track of time and then realized that it was almost midnight when my phone buzzed in my pocket.

Blake: “Hey beautiful how are you holding up?”

Me: “Not so great.” I texted back.

When I didn’t get a response I contemplated climbing back into my room and going to bed. I heard a rustling in the leaves and tried to adjust my eyes to see who or what it was. Then I heard “fuck” being mumbled under a male voices’ breath, then I heard branches cracking and a loud ‘thud.’ I looked down to the base of the oak tree next to my bedroom window to see the source of the noise. Blake.

Me: “Blake? What are you doing?”

Blake: “Christ Leah I thought you were inside…”

Me: “Nope, I like sitting out here sometimes.”

Blake: “I was going to try and climb up but you see how well that worked for me.”

Me: “You could’ve just called me…”

I reached inside my window and pulled out my makeshift rope ladder and threw one end of it down to him.

Blake: “What? When did you make this?”

Me: “A while ago, so I didn’t have to walk all the way through the house when I go out to feed my guys their breakfast…”

I stopped short remembering the current situation…

Blake quickly made his way up the ladder and lied on top of me. He wasn’t pinning me down it was more of comforting hug. I cried onto his shoulder as he lied on me running his fingers through my knotted hair.

I cried until I had no more tears left. All while Blake stayed there lying on top of me. When the water works ran out I just lied there sobbing and shaking until my head hurt. Blake whispered in my ear.

Blake: “Hey Leah honey, take a deep breath and calm down… you’re shaking really bad.”

He took some of his weight off of me and looked down right into my eyes. I did as he said and got myself back under control.

Me: “S-sorry.” I muttered.

Blake: “Don’t you dare be sorry, this isn’t your fault.”

Me: “But if I had just…” He interrupted me:

Blake: “No it is NOT your fault.” He said ‘not’ in a more stern voice than he did the rest of the sentence.

I wiggled myself out from underneath him and not so gracefully climbed back into my bedroom. I tripped on the box of tissues and landed face first on my bed, thanks goodness it’s so close to the window. I heard Blake snickering as he swung into my room and landed much more gracefully beside me on my bed.

Blake: “See that’s how it’s done.” He kidded.

I punched him on his left bicep.

Blake: “You punch like a girl.”

Me: “Well in case you haven’t noticed…”

Blake: “How could I not notice a beautiful girl like yourself?”

I smiled and kissed him on the lips. After ending our kiss I asked him to cuddle with me. Of course he didn’t decline and we fell asleep cuddling in my bed.

The next morning we were woken to my momma yelling my name from downstairs. It almost sounded like she was mad. Blake climbed down my rope ladder and went back to his house. I lazily made my way downstairs to find out my fate.

I could’ve sworn she was gunna be mad about mine and Blake’s sleepover, but she surprisingly wasn’t mad. She even had some good news.

Momma: “Leah the authorities found a ratty old truck and trailer in the next county over at a rest area. They have confirmed that it is in fact your boys!”

Me: “What!?! No way. I’m calling Cindy lets go pick them up.”

Momma: “Honey slow down. We can’t just do that.”

Me: “Why!”

Momma: “These people could be dangerous.”

Me: “What about my boys, Momma?”

Momma: “They want to follow the trailer with undercover cops until they are safely able to capture the suspects and save your boys.”

Me: “Okay…”

It was still good news and I guess it made more sense. I didn’t want my boys getting injured in the rescuing process. As long as they found them safe and sound is all that matters to me.

----