21- Evading the Cops

A few more days went by of doing the same routine. Get up and ready for school, feed the horses, drive to school, go to class, come home change for work and, at least 8 hours. My job is never boring since it’s at Tractor Supply Co. I love how it’s never the same thing twice in a row. It’s easy for me to sell things and help people out because I know most of what I’m talking about. And when it was slow my manager would let me sit out back and do my homework, while I was still clocked in! Getting paid to do my homework, definitely works for me.

Clark my manager said that it was so slow one night that he’d let me go home early. I go to walk out to my truck and I swear I pulled through a few more rows back. I shook it off and unlocked it. Just before I jumped in all my friends sat up in the bed and yelled “surprise!”

Me: “The hell did y’all know I was getting out early?”

Courtney: “Yeah we all parked down the road and walked back to come and surprise you.”

Me: “Well congrats you succeeded.”

Liz: “So we don’t have school tomorrow, teacher workshop or something, what do ya wanna do tonight?”

I let a smile slowly spread across my face. “Wanna go raise some hell?”

Olivia: “But nothing illegal right?”

Me: “Of course not.”

I told all of them my plan and gave them a ride back to their trucks up the road.

~

We arranged ourselves in a tightly packed line of vehicles, the tallest trucks in the front and jeeps and cars in the back, since Danielle drives a car. We all tailgated each other so no one could break up our line. My idea was to drive through the city revving our custom exhausts and diesels, then speeding off before we could get ticketed for noise.

I drove first in my blue lifted 09 Chevy truck, Blake went next in his 97 Silverado, then James in his blacked out lifted F250, Danielle followed him in her loud Honda accord with mossy oak and redneck stickers on her bumper. Behind Danielle drove Evan in his white and blue head lighted Tundra, lifted of course, then Liz in her, lifted green Jeep wrangler, Connor in his “Yota” truck with a custom, legal, exhaust, Olivia in her gray Jeep Laredo 4x4, and bringing up the rear Tyler and Courtney carpooled in Tyler’s red lifted Cummins with dual stacks to spray out that black smoke!

The 9 of us loudly made our way down Main Street in the city right past all the little shops that were full of people. I could see some turn around in shock and others run inside covering their ears. We were making so much noise that it didn’t take long for the cops to catch up with us. I got a call from Tyler.

Tyler: “Leah… Cops!”

Me: “Spray smoke so they can’t see your plate, follow me I know a trail that is ok for Danielle’s car.”

Tyler: “Got it I’ll have Courtney tell everyone else what’s going on since she’s not driving.”

Me: “Gotchya! Ready set let’s roll!” He laughed at my reference and hung up.

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw Tyler’s cloud of smoke. 500 feet ahead is the trail entrance where we can lose the cops. We all made it in and the blue lights went by and made a quick turn stopping at the entrance to the trail where he shut his lights off and gave up. I went into the woods far enough and cut my engine and jumped out.

Me: “Alright y’all we need to split up they’re gunna be at all the exits waiting for us.”

Blake: “Turner! I’ll call him and ask him to speed by all the exits and distract them.”

Me: “Yeah it’ll be easier for all us to just pay his one ticket rather than pay each of our own.”

They all agreed. Courtney, Tyler, Connor, and Olivia all took the North trail. Evan, Liz, and I took the East trail. Blake, Danielle and James took the easiest trail because of her car, the South trail. They all end on the same road only a few miles apart. Before we got going Blake checked in with Turner and put it on speaker.

Turner: “Yeah man I’m sitting at the beginning of the road and cops keep going up there to wait for y’all.”

Blake: “Do whatever you have to do, get them all to follow you we will all pay your ticket afterwards.”

Turner: “No problem!”

Soon enough I could hear his Powerstroke rumble to a start and thunder down the road less than a half a mile out. Turner called Blake back saying he was leading the cops further into the state park roads and, we have about 15 minutes to get out and park everyone in my backyard.

We sent the people on the North trail out first then I went with my group and the South trail drivers took off. Soon enough everyone all parked and cut their engines in my concealed backyard. We stood in the barn as Turner’s truck roared by my house only to be stopped down the road in front of Blake’s house. I walked to the end of my driveway, hidden by the trees. I texted Blake and said it’s just a normal traffic stop and ticket for being too loud. Turner waited there until the cop left and pulled into my driveway.

Turner: “Guys what the hell!”

We all laughed.

Me: “If you had come with us there was no way we could’ve gotten out, your job was the most important.”

Turner: “Alright.” He showed us the ticket and we all split it evenly giving him some cash to pay it off.

Me: “How about a bonfire in the back we have a bunch of brush to burn?”

----