5- Getting to know Blake

Blake put his truck in park in my driveway and I carefully jumped to the ground.

Me: “Wanna come in? I saw your house; I guess it’s only fair.”

Blake: “Yeah, I’d rather not go back to my house when my parents are intoxicated.”

I showed him around and apologized for the make shift furniture and all the boxes that still lied unpacked. We headed back outside to the barn and I slid the doors open.

Me: “I was so excited when we pulled up and I saw the barn.”

Blake: “Yeah I bet. So you said you ride but you’ve never owned a horse?”

Me: “That’s right; I’d be back and forth between leasing horses and working in different barns just so I could exercise the boarder’s horses.”

 Blake: “That sounds exhausting.”

Me: “Back then I’d have done anything just to be able to ride.”

Blake: “That’s a true passion right there.”

Me: “Yep. Now that the barns cleaned out we just need to fix it up and make some stalls and fencing and then I can go horse shopping.”

Blake: “Horse shopping? Do they have like a super-market with isles of horses?” I could tell he was joking.

Me: “I mean like go to auctions or look online. Or if you know anyone?”

Blake: “Nah I work for a landscape company, this is the first barn I’ve ever stepped foot in.”

Me: “Never?”

Blake: “First time in my 17 years.”

I thought about it for a second. If he’s 17 he must be a going sophomore or junior.

Me: Might as well be straight forward; “So what grade are you in?”

Blake: “I’ll be in 10th, should be 11th but I was held back in middle school. And you’ll be in what grade?”

Me: “freshman…” I said and looked down.

Blake: “Hey everyone was a freshie once, besides our school isn’t that big and everyone’s pretty nice for the most part.”

Me: “For the most part?” At this point we had both just sat down in random chairs leftover from the yard sale.

Blake: “Yeah just trust me on this and stay away from Shelly and her friends. She seems nice at first but it’s all an act.”

Me: I just simply shook my head; “Thanks for the warning.”

Blake: “Well I should probably get back.”

Me: “Ok.”

We both stood up and I shut off the lights and locked up the barn for the night. He walked me up to my front door and we awkwardly said goodbye. Then I headed inside. I heard his truck start and roar away and back to his house.

I really wish I had a best friend because I would totally call her right for guy-advice. I ended up calling my Momma and asking when she and Dad would be home.

Me: “Hey Momma when are you guys leaving?”

Momma: “In a little while honey.”

She was slurring her words.

Me: “Momma how much have you and Dad had to drink?”

Momma: “I don’t know dear.”

Me: “I’m walking over and driving you two home.”

Momma: “Darling we’re fine.”

Me: “Momma you are slurring really bad and laughing a lot, you’re drunk, I’m coming to drive you home.”

Momma: “Wait I’ll send Blake back to pick you up. I don’t want you walking alone at night.”

Me: “Fine.”

I heard Blake’s truck start from next door and I stood at the end of my driveway. Just before Blake could get here a different truck drove up instead.

Guy: “What are you doing out here all by yourself?” He asked and then revved his white F250.

This guy is probably just about my age too, and also a country boy, but definitely not as nice as Blake. I saw Blake’s headlights coming up the road. He turned into my driveway and got out of his truck.

Blake: “Go home Turner, keep on driving.”

Turner: “Oh lookie here wittle Blakie poo grew some balls and just told me off. Wish I had captured that for the history books.”

Blake: “Yeah the books that you’ve never read.”

Turner’s buddies all yelled ‘oooh’ from inside Turner’s truck. He revved his truck and sped off.

I looked back at Blake.

Me: “That was a good one, but who in the world was that?”

Blake: “Turner Evans. Star football player and resident jerk. We used to be best friends until I caught him shooting heroine before a game.”

Me: “Oh dang, and sorry about you having to come back and pick me up.”

Blake: “I know you owe me gas money, it’s just such a long drive.” He said sarcastically.

I nudged him and laughed.

He walked over to my side of the truck and offered a leg up. Like someone would do when helping another get on a tall horse. I looked at him and tried so hard not to smile and laugh. It didn’t work.

Me: “Aren’t you just hilarious?” I joked right back.

Blake: “No but really, shorty can’t jump into my truck.”

Me: “I ain’t that short.” I raised my eyebrows at him.

He was still wearing his logger boots and I was wearing my cowgirl boots, so we had about the same heel. Blake stepped over and stood next to me, I barely reached his shoulder with the top of my head.

Blake: “See shorty.”

Me: “Maybe you’re just freakishly tall.”

Blake: “Hey now.” We both laughed and I took him up on his offer for a leg up.

He drove me back to his house I jumped in my Dad’s truck and drove them back to ours. We live no more than half a mile apart; I just didn’t want them driving drunk.

----