46-Nightmare

It is my turn to sleep. I reached over and woke Blake up.

Me: “Your three hours are up hun.”

Blake: “What already?”

Me: “Yeah.”

Blake: “Okay sleep well beautiful.”

I smiled and kissed his cheek.

Before I fell asleep the fire was still going strong. My eyes had been starting to hurt from the orange glow. The fire was our only source of light.

Needless to say I slept really well; up until my really horrifying dream.

It was just all so real.

Blake and I were both awake and watching the fire. We both heard a coyote howl, way too close for comfort. We exchanged glances.

Blake: “Don’t worry I’ll go scare it off.”

Me: “Okay be careful please.”

Blake: “I will.”

He grabbed Tyler’s rifle from the bed of his truck, which made me feel better.

Blake was gone a really long time and I was getting really worried. I wasn’t worried about the fact that he couldn’t fight off a coyote, but if there was more than one out there…

The wind had also started to pick up.

Suddenly the fire changed courses and started blowing towards the tent where everyone else is sleeping. It caught the tent on fire and I screamed for Blake running over to try and help them out.

I ripped the fabric open and found three coyotes inside and no people.

--

Blake: “Leah? Hey wake up you’re having a bad dream.”

There is a set of hand on me shaking me gently.

My eyes shot open and I saw there everything was totally okay. I let out a sigh before speaking.

Me: “Yeah, a really bad dream.”

Blake: “What was it about?”

Me: “Well it seemed like it was actually happening; you and I heard a coyote howl and you went to scare it off. The wind picked up and lit their tent on fire. I ran over to it and found three coyotes in there instead of our friends. Then you woke me up.”

Blake: “If it means you’ll be able to sleep better, help me put the fire out?”

Me: “Yeah, no problem.”

We worked together and dumped the gallons of water around the circumference of the pile. Blake doused it with all the foam inside the fire extinguisher.

Blake: “There, now you can sleep.”

Me: “Thank you.”

He pulled me into a hug and a quick kiss on my forehead. He wrapped his arms around my waist and carried me back to his truck bed.

Blake: “Goodnight, I’m gunna stay up though and make sure nothing happens.”

I nodded and slithered back into my sleeping bag.

The next morning I woke up and I was overheating. I guess late last night Blake crawled into my sleeping bag with me. Our arms are all tangled around one another and he isn’t wearing a shirt. No wonder it is so hot in here. I tried not to giggle at my own joke.

I reached down and pinched Blake’s ticklish spot and he jumped; only after tightening his arms around me.

Blake: “Hey now, that’s an awful way to be woken up.”

Me: “Fine then go back to sleep and I’ll wake up some other way.”

He joked around and closed his eyes again. I leaned over him and placed my lips on his. Blake flipped to his back pulling me on top of him and securing his arms around me so I couldn’t escape.

Blake: “Much better way to wake up.”

Me: “Good I’m glad.”

With both of us lacking a good amount of sleep we drifted back off again, while Blake still held me on top of him.

We were woken up by Blake’s truck moving. But it wasn’t going forwards or backwards, someone was pushing on the bed rocking it side to side.

James: “Wakey wakey love birds.”

Blake: “No man go away.”

James: “Why did I ruin the moment?”

Blake: “Neither of us slept well okay?”

James: “Yeah okay sorry dude.”

Then we were left alone again.

----