twenty

(The first Friday; Assignment 1 Due; Story Number 1: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson)

"You turned in your half, right?" I say to Jules as he stands by my desk once we get to Warren's class.

He jerks his head back and puts his hand over his heart jokingly, "Of course. I was taking notes through our whole conversation. If we fail it's because of you not me." he says pointing at me

Jules came over to my house when my parents weren't around, I did this on purpose, I wasn't in the mood to entertain questions about why I'm inviting a member of the opposite sex to our home and introducing him as anything but an acquaintance.

They also would have thrown a hissyfit If I had said that I needed him to be in my room as well. Well actually we could've hung out in the living room or something but I felt like I needed an escape route if my parents decide to come home early then I'd quietly send him on his merry way outside and through the window.

But when he left I soon realized that he'd probably plunge to his death considering how far my room is from the ground.

Needless to say, he was in and out with no problems.

Our conversation gets cut short when Mrs. Warren comes in and quiets the chatter coming from the class.

She smacks her hand against the chalkboard and drops her Louis Vuitton duffel bag onto the desk. Something she usually does to get our attention.

"Good morning, Disciples!" she smiles widely. Jules taps me on the shoulder to silently say goodbye as he crosses the room to walk to his seat.

"I'm excited to see that an overwhelming majority of my students actually did their work." She says as she picks up the papers that we left on her desk and runs her fingers through them, "Ah, Mr.Simpson I see Ms.Ramirez's work ethic has rubbed off on you." she subtly shaded him jokingly as Paola tries not to laugh when Ryan's jaw drops

"I'm missing a group though. Has anyone seen Mr.Duran and Ms.Mills anywhere today? Are they in school?"

And on perfect timing, Jesse strolls through the class with a small smile resting on his lips as his hands are placed in the pockets of his black joggers.

He sits in his seat behind me and I feel him rest his legs in the basket underneath my desk again. I decided it's just best to not fight him on that.

Ms.Warren goes to call him out until Naveah walks into class with a scowl on her face as she pauses at the door to see that everyone is staring at her. She rolled her eyes and stalked towards the front desk and slammed a piece of paper on the desk then proceeded to walk to her own desk on the other side of the room. The whole class watches as she drops her binder and then drops herself into her seat as she slides down and crosses her arms.