thirty-eight

"You wanna know what I still can't wrap my head around?" Cyrus says as he lifts up a barbell from off the ground beginning to lift the weight as we stand in the gym that we had built into the house

Bringing my 20 lb dumbbell upwards as I curled my arm, lifting it I say, "What?"

"I can't believe I really caught you sneaking around with a black girl." he says looking at me, "I didn't even know you liked black women, Jess. Look at you tryna get invited to the cookout, my good man." he laughs causing me to roll my eyes as I continue to lift

"I like women. Period." I scoff, "I've never had a specific type."

"Yeah but not only is she a black girl. She's Nigerian. So not only are you tryna get invited to the cookout, You wanna take a trip to the motherland." he nods his head, "Or should I say you wanna explore her motherla--"

"Cyrus." I snap and he cuts his eyes back to me again raising his eyebrows beginning to chuckle at the look of annoyance on my face now that he's starting to get inappropriate.

He drops the barbell on the floor slowly and raises his hands in mock surrender, "My bad. Not trying to disrespect your lady or anything." he snickers to himself walking over to a table behind me and grabbing a cold water bottle. "I didn't think you cared that much about her. I thought you were only tryna hit."

"I didn't," I say in a bored tone

"You didn't what?" he asks in confusion

"I didn't, Cyrus." I say turning to look at him briefly

He furrows his eyebrows before his jaw drops in realization, "You and her didn't do anything? So what was all that hiding and sneaking around for. What were you even doing in that daycare, ok well I'm glad yall had the decency to not fuck in there but still." he laughs, "What did yall do? Play a game of checkers for hours? Heads-Up?"

"The hiding and sneaking around was so I could avoid interrogations like these. You know that if I told you that I did anything with her, you'd already be asking me how good she was so you that you could get at her too." I say to him and he jerks his head placing a hand on his heart

"You think so low of me, Jesse." he says in a fake pained voice as he pretends to wince, "Yet you know me so well."

I shake my head as I continue to listen to him, "But for real though. What have yall done together then because you were MIA for a whole month, my guy."

"All I ever did was kiss her." Along with buying her food, watch various movies, and even took her to go meet two of the most important people in my life.

Cyrus hears this and begins to cackle in a huge fit of laughter

"All I did was kiss her." he mocks me throwing his head back in laughter once more, "Yall sound like a bunch of 8th graders."