thirty-seven

If I didn't want the extra cash, I really wouldn't have accepted this job

I'd much rather be teaching elementary or something. The math that they learn isn't rocket science.

I'm really a student teacher but I decided against telling the class that before they use that as a way to take advantage of me. I got my lesson plans and everything from Ms.Tran but I am actually assisting another teacher who is in the math department at this school.

The kids I've met in my classes are pretty cool. For the most part, they all take direction pretty well and I'm sure that they had a lot of respect for Ms.Tran which is helping me greatly in making my transition to Rochester High.

However, I wasn't prepared for the fact that I would find myself strangely attracted to a student here.

Karma Onuoha.

She was doing a number on me without even really needing to say or do anything. Her beauty astounds me beyond belief. She speaks more on the soft-spoken side compared to her classmates, especially her friend, Paola. It wasn't hard to tell that opposites really do attract when you look at them and see them interact together.

It feels like every time she's in class, she's almost in another world. She always stares off into the distance or looks at her journal as I speak but every time she's asked a question, she's quick to give the answer, no hesitation.

Most of the time she's shy and that's why she won't speak much but I can't help but call on her just to hear her give the answer that I already know she has rattled around in her brain just so I can hear her voice because I know that if it were up to her she wouldn't speak to anyone but Paola or Justine in hushed whispers.

I have a pretty good memory. As someone who has had to take a variety of math classes, I have to as there are so many formulas I need to have memorized. By the second day of class, I knew most of the class's names.

I only changed the seating and made up a bullshit seating chart because Karma was sat too far away from my desk. I sat Paola next to her so she'd be more comfortable having that sense of familiarity around her, along with Justine being behind her.

I honestly can't believe no one questioned me as to why people whose last names wear earlier in the alphabet, were sat in the back of the room rather than the front.

It wasn't the most rational thing I've ever done, but I don't regret it because now every time I sit on my desk, I get to see her up close and personal when she actually makes eye contact with me in class.

When I send the class off to work in their books, it's a time for me to relax because I get tired of talking for too long. It's also a way for them to do their homework earlier. The last thing I'm trying to do is fail anyone I'd rather get paid and go about my day.