fifty-six

Part 3/3

Part 3/3

"Okay. It was weird when this happened to us." Paola says as she points between her and Ryan, "But now this just can't be a coincidence."

The five of us were sitting in this hospital again as we wait for any updates on Justine. it was a matter of time before Paola up began to become suspicious about what was going on between the three of them.

I can tell that telling Paola about who he really is is something that Ryan is going to struggle to do as I watch the way that his knee bounces up and down as he holds his head in the palm of his hand looking at her what's a look of nervousness on his face

She's been quiet ever since we got here.

After Cyrus explained the whole story, I haven't been able to say much either.

He said that he bet Justine a few weeks ago that if he was able to do their entire English assignment by himself and earn the grade of an A without any of her help. She would have to let him take her on a date.

Justine never really alluded to liking Cyrus enough to actually go out with him but I guess that was something she may have kept to herself.

We had told her multiple times that they would look great together but she would always brush us off.

One time she said that Cyrus looked like he could barely afford a happy meal, never mind being able to afford her.

If only she knew at the time just how much Ryan, Jesse, and Cyrus could afford if they really wanted to splurge.

She just assumed that he was a "scrub" because he lived with Jesse.

So when he said she actually agreed to go on a date with him we were very confused but Paola had given me a knowing smile briefly after he explained the bet situation.

He had taken her to La Grenouille, a french restaurant because an item on her bucket list was to try Ratatouille because of that Disney movie.

Quickly after their meals came, they dived into a conversation. The conversation had gotten so deep that they lost track of time and spent more time at the restaurant than Cyrus had intended.

All of a sudden they heard loud shrills and people screaming at the top of their lungs as the first gunshot had sounded.

As people had been grabbing their belongings trying to rush out of the building as fast as possible, Cyrus had taken Justine by the hand and ran towards the nearest exit.

But they weren't fast enough.

The second gunshot had rung out so loudly in the midst of all the chaos.

Cyrus had felt the grip of Justine's hand loosening. The difference in the strength of the grip had been a sharp contrast to how tightly she had held onto him seconds prior.